Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 60 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
Medecins Sans Frontieres is recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Mental Health Counselor
Ref No.: 1512_DMT/BS 16
Locations: Yobe, Borno
Hierarchical: Psychologist and Mental Health Activity Manager
Technical: Mental Health Activity Manager
Grade Level: 5
Offices hours: Mon – Fri 8am to 5.30pm
Scope of Responsibilities
- Psychosocial and psycho-educative: counsellor will be responsible for the well running of the psycho-social and psycho-educative activities with beneficiaries presenting moderate symptomatology, as well as for promptly referring complex cases to other psychologist upon supervisory guidance by Psychologist or MHAM
- Plans, organizes and participates in activities to facilitate the physical, mental or emotional rehabilitation or health of patients based on their abilities and acquired competencies (knowledge, skills, proper attitudes for MH work) for patient care.
- she works in cooperation with the psychologist and under the supervision of the MHAM to define activity plans to assist patients (children, adults, elders) in achieving more effective personal, social educational and vocational development and adjustment.
Operational / Technical Responsibilities
- Identify among the affected population people with psychological difficulties and difficult coping process
- Collaboration with the community health workers on a daily basis.
- Psychosocial assessment and support of victims of the affected population
- Provide individual and/or group counseling for population at risk (with close follow-up and monitoring by MHS): assess difficult or severe symptomatology and explore a counseling intervention plan to mobilize inner resources for processing traumatic experiences and finding new life perspective
- Refer patients to other health professionals whenever necessary, with the supervision of the MHS
- Provide daily counselling sessions in the location agreed (PHC’s or other location identified)
- Visit beneficiaries at home/tent/shelter in order to follow up evolution when required
- Provide individual and/or group counseling for population at risk (autonomously): support healthy coping process of the population and explore their inner resources for processing traumatic experiences and finding new life perspective
- Provide on-going feedback to the CHW about the quality of the referrals of patients
- Participate in weekly and monthly staff meetings and regular supervision sessions
- Participates in trainings, and supervision sessions as required, including regular on-the-job training and supervision by the team supervisor, and occasional external trainings.
Communication / Collaboration:
- Consults with other professionals to discuss counselling resources or techniques, to share occupational information.
Material / Equipment:
- Responsible for the material needed for activities and storage
- Provide ongoing monitoring of beneficiaries’ status and maintain clinical files accurately
- Collect & submit data about sessions and counseling activities on daily basis
- Keeps written records:
- Of individual patient assessment and care, including a brief final summary
- Of group (i.e., family) activities.
- Keeps statistics on all activities, as required by the MHAM, and provides these on the appropriate forms at the end of each month
- University Degree.
- Experience in counseling, community and/or social work preferable
- Previous experience as a Psychosocial Counselor is an ass
- Previous experience working in the medical field, and with vulnerable population, all valuable but not essential.
- R – English R- Hausa R – Kanuri
- F – Fluent | B – Basic | R – Required | A – An asset
- List of personal qualities required for the position, such as (not exhaustive):
- Good communication, listening and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work autonomously
- Capacity to activate as a team-member and support peers
- Rigorous, organized, disciplined
- Good understanding of what confidentiality entails and willingness to conform to confidentiality norms
- Capacity to swiftly adjust to changes
- As a humanitarian organization involved in emergency programs, all national and international MSF staff is expected to be flexible and available for emergency response activities.
- S/he should be willing to undertake other tasks as necessary and not specified in the job description, supporting the mission activities in the response to potential emergencies and cover HR gaps or needs at field level.
- As per MSF Salary Scale (National Contract).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and motivation letter either by email to: [email protected]
In person to:
Road 131 House 10 Gwarinpa Housing Estate,
In person at:
Yakubu Bello House Damaturu Low Cost,
Near Yobe Scholar Academy – New Jerusalem,
Note: Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Females are encouraged to apply
Application Deadline 25th December, 2016.