Management Sciences for Health (MSH) saves lives and improves health by helping public and private organizations throughout the world to effectively manage people, medicines, money, and information. Working from more than 30 country offices and our Arlington, Virginia and Medford, Massachusetts US headquarters, our staff from 65 nations is highly regarded for its technical expertise, integrity, and commitment to making a lasting difference in health. We live our mission to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
Job Position: Director of Health Service Delivery, Maternal, Newborn, Child Health
MSH seeks candidates for the position of Director of Health Service Delivery for an anticipated 5 year, USAID-funded project in Northern Nigeria to contribute to state-level reduction in under-five and maternal mortality, and to increased capacity of health systems (public and private) to sustainably support access to primary health care. The implementing partner will work closely with and support state governments, while strengthening their capacity in developing a robust plan for the health sector annually and provide support for its implementation to increase the use of high impact integrated maternal, newborn and child health and family planning/reproductive health interventions. The project will focus on support for service delivery in six interventions areas: family planning, malaria, routine immunization, nutrition, maternal/newborn health, and treatment of pneumonia/diarrhea. The position will be based in Abuja, Nigeria.
This position is contingent upon project award and funding.
- Leads the design and implementation of the project’s integrated high-impact interventions in the areas of Family Planning; Maternal, Newborn and Child Health; Maternal and Child Nutrition; Water, Sanitation and Hygiene. This integrated package of interventions will be delivered through government and/or private health providers.
- Coordinate the technical expertise of MSH and its sub-contractors, which will include international, national and local organizations so that the project’s technical interventions are designed and implemented as a single package which includes the best expertise of MSH and its sub-contractors.
- Link with technical counterparts in government and international development agencies and NGOs, private sector and corporate organizations to coordinate and leverage the project’s technical interventions.
- Contribute to strengthening MSH presence in Nigeria.
- Required – Medical Doctor, Registered Nurse or Registered Midwife with a Master’s degree in Public Health or related area.
- Required – Minimum of 7 years of successful experience as senior-level technical or program manager of health projects of equivalent size and complexity, funded by USAID or by other international donors.
- Required – Successful working experience in health programs in Nigeria. Successful experience in the design and/or implementation of large scale programs related to Family Planning; Maternal, Newborn and Child Health; Maternal and Child Nutrition; and/or Water, Sanitation and Hygiene.
- Required – Successful experience leading technical staff and consultants within a consortium of international and local sub-contractors to achieve measurable results within a technically complex and integrated health program.
- Required – Successful experience engaging technical representatives of the host country government, civil society organizations, international development organizations and private sector to support project implementation and/or to provide complementary resources to the project.
- Required – Successful experience of sharing knowledge, documenting experience, supporting creative initiatives, and sharing credit. Demonstrated strategic agility, diplomacy, conflict management, team building, written and oral communication in English, and negotiation skills.
- Recommended – Demonstrated experience in the following:
- Strengthening capacities of NGO administrative and financial systems, and oversight of grants programs.
- Strengthening leadership and management capacities of national and sub-national government health systems.
Qualified candidates currently residing in Nigeria are encouraged to apply.
Management Sciences for Health is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status.