Stresert Services Limited – Our client, one of the leading legal practitioners and arbitrators in the Nigerian legal sector, is looking to hire as:
Job Title: Litigation Counsel
Location: Victoria Island, Lagos
- The ideal candidate MUST reside on the Island i.e. Lagos Island, Lekki, Ajah and immediate locality
- To contribute to the smooth and efficient conduct of litigation and outside counsel including coordinating and directing case strategy, discovery, drafting/editing pleadings and interviewing and preparing witnesses and negotiations.
Description of Duties
- All administrative tasks required for the post.
- Drafting applications to the Courts and having conduct of the case through to judgment being obtained.
- Deal with enquiries from solicitors and other external agencies and advice the client of the next step accordingly.
- Attending possession action hearings, negotiating with representatives and preparing and advising of witnesses prior to hearings.
- Attending Defendants’ applications to set aside Judgments and suspended Warrants of Possession.
- Responsible for maintaining the central register of Judgments and Charging Orders and dealing with related enquiries, applications and cancellations.
- Responsible for the preparation of documentation and conduct of emergency injunction proceedings on behalf of the Local Authority in accordance with any relevant legislation.
- Clarifying with client officers any difficult areas and dealing with and responding to any defenses and/or counter claims lodged.
- Drafting summonses, complaints and indictments in connection with prosecutions by the Council
- Attending the Court and other Tribunals and advocating on behalf of the Council in litigation actions.
- Providing litigation support to the solicitors in the Litigation Team, including without limitation, preparing witness statements, dealing with discovery and attending court with Counsel.
- Any other duties relevant for the work of the Section as determined by the post holder’s line manager.
Requirements and Desired Skills
- Candidate must be a graduate of Law with minimum of six (6) years at the Bar
- Active litigation Arbitration experience
- Excellent writing skills with little or no review needed.
- The candidate needs to be able to work with a variety of people and have coping skills to handle difficult personalities, ranging from co-workers to clients.
- The litigation applicant must have knowledge of the court systems and how they work.
- Experience working in drafting motions, briefs and preparing for trials is necessary.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to write, and speak English fluently
- The ideal candidate must be organized and pay attention to detail. Small errors or omissions can lose or derail a case.
N180, 000 – N200, 000/ m (Depending on experience).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV’s to: [email protected] using ‘Litigation Counsel’ as the subject of your application.
Note: Only experienced candidates will be shortlisted and invited for interviews.
Application Deadline 30th October, 2015.