Save the Children is a leading international organization helping children in need around the world. First established in the UK in 1919, separate national organizations have been set up in more than twenty-eight countries, sharing the aim of improving the lives of children through education, health care and economic opportunities, as well as emergency aid in cases of natural disasters, war and conflict.
In Nigeria, Save the Children has been working since 2001. The early focus was on getting children actively involved in shaping the decisions that affect their lives. Today, Save the Children is working in seven federal states – Zamfara, Yobe, Jigawa, Katsina, Kano, Bauchi and Kaduna – focusing on providing basic healthcare and protecting children.
JOB ROLE: LGA Nutrition Assistants
Support implementation of Nutrition and IYCF activities by providing training and guidance to CDGP staff, and LGA seconded Staff, LGA counterparts, CVs and CHEWs
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
Objective 1: Support Nutrition/BCC implementation at LGA Level
- Provide technical assistance to CVs and CHEWs on health and nutrition, with particular focus on the implementation of effective methodologies to improve nutrition knowledge, attitudes and practices of mothers
- Provide technical support and guidance to CHEWs and CVs on management of C-IYCF component of nutrition (Support groups and one-on-one counselling, and action oriented groups)
- In collaboration with LGA teams, plan sensitisation activities for targeted communities with focus on traditional leaders and other key stakeholders
- Coordinate LGA teams tosupport Community Volunteers to carry out joint community mobilisation activities around nutrition
- Conduct regular technical monitoring of health and nutrition activities and document findings to inform improvements in programme implementation
- Ensure regular communication and sharing of lessons learned and challenges with the programme team and partners to inform implementation
- Participate in meetings, training and other assessment/events as required
- Plan logistics and materials needs for the activities to be carried out
Objective 2: Build capacities of LGA level officers on IYCF
- Support identification of requirements for building the capacity on IYCF of staff at the local government level
- Ensure integration of IYCF in all trainings and programme activities (at community and LGA level).
- Work with IYCF Adviser in supporting the LNO and LGA PHC teams to step down trainings on IYCF
- Support and coach LGA PHC teams to supervise and follow up on IYCF activities, ensuring quality implementation
- Support strengthening of information flow between LGA and State
Objective 3: Monitoring and evaluation of Nutrition BCC activities
- Prepare a monthly plan or field activities
- Ensure timely collection, compilation and analysis of quality data as well as production of quantitative and qualitative reports regarding all Nutrition and BCC activities (by SC staff and CV)
- Produce case studies related to CM and nutrition BCC, at least one per quarter or as per line manager’s request
- Identify the problems in the implementation process and propose solutions
- Evaluate regularly the impact of the activities and propose changes for improvement.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Health background with at least 2 years’ experience on IYCF and/or breastfeeding counselling.
- Previous experience with local or international NGOs.
- Experience in nutrition and in community based programmes.
- Computer literate.
- Broad understanding of rights and development issues
- Understanding of social protection
- Sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability to think creatively and innovate and to set priorities, manageable work-plans and evaluate progress.
- Ability to build support from staff across teams and across members, and to build the capacity of others.
- Ability to work in partnership with government and other organizations’ staff.
- Strong communications skills (both written and verbal) in English and Hausa.
- Independence, adaptability and flexibility.
- Commitment to team working and understanding of how to contribute.
- Commitment to SCI’s mission, values and approach (includes child protection, equal opportunities and health and safety).
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply