The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), Abuja delegation is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the vacancy below.
Applications are hereby invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates for the Legal Officer Job Opportunity At ICRC. Click here for details.
Job Title: Legal Officer
- Advises ICRC on various topics, including Nigerian criminal law and the Nigerian criminal justice system (inter alia, criminal procedure and applicable law and standards)
- Conducts research and analysis on specific legal matters relevant to IHL and IHRL
- Maintains and expands a strong network amongst governmental authorities and civil society engaged in issues relating to IHL and IHRL
- Assists in implementing the ICRC strategy on judicial guarantees for persons deprived of liberty
- Monitors and informs the delegation about developments in national law and jurisprudence relevant to the ICRC’s work and international humanitarian law (IHL)/international human rights law (IHRL)
- Master’s degree in international humanitarian law (IHL) with a strong understanding of international human rights law (IHRL) and Nigerian criminal law
- Proven research and analytical skills; able to think critically and articulate legal arguments in a structured and professional manner
- Computer literacy (competency in Microsoft Office and legal research databases)
- Educational experience at foreign academic institution
- 3-4 years relevant work experience, preferably in IHL, IHRL and/or criminal law
- Fluent in spoken and written English; passive understanding of French an asset
- Excellent writing skills in English and good oral communication skills
- Passionate, motivated and good at taking initiative
- Able to work closely and constructively with others
How to Apply
Persons interested and qualified should send a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a sample of analytical writing (5 pages max.) and contact details of three referees to [email protected]
Please note that the successful candidate must be a Nigerian national. The deadline for the submission of applications will be 20.09.2015. Late applications will not be considered. Please clearly indicate “Legal Officer” as the subject of your application. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation whose exclusively humanitarian mission is to protect the lives and dignity of victims of armed conflict and other situations of violence and to provide them with assistance. For more information about the ICRC, please visit our website www.icrc.org