Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is an international non-profit organization that promotes peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and a European office in Brussels, Belgium, SFCG’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict – away from adversarial approaches and toward cooperative solutions. SFCG seeks to help conflicting parties understand their differences and act on their commonalities. With a total of approximately 600 staff worldwide, SFCG implements projects from 50 offices in 35 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States. The organization is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with a dedicated and enthusiastic staff that is committed to its mission and values. You will be joining a highly motivated staff with a good team spirit and there will be opportunities to grow in the role.
Job Title: Legal Advisor
The Legal Advisor will provide advice and ensure that all organizational dealings, and legal documents are complying with applicable law. S/he will review legal documents and ensure that it’s effectively drafted and interpreted. S/he will report directly to the Country Director and work in close coordination with the HR and Administration Manager and the Finance Manager.
Please note that the position is part-time and on consultation basis, based in Abuja. A scope of work will be determined and payments made based on level of efforts.
- Advise the Country Director and the Leadership and Management Team (LMT) on laws affecting the organization and its operation in Nigeria;
- Support in interpreting laws, rulings, and regulations that are relevant to the working of the organization;
- As and when necessary, advise and represent the organization in courts, before government agencies, and in private legal matters;
- Review, advise on, and negotiate, when applicable, contracts & contracts-related issues (including employment, funder, partner organization, and vendor contracts)
- Provide advice on different legal issues and assist in drafting legal opinions, memoranda and other briefing documents
- LLM from a recognized university;
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace; and
- Ability to prioritize, plan and organize workflow to tight timeframes, handle multiple tasks, and be flexible with changing priorities.
- 3-5 years’ professional experience as a Legal Specialist/Advisor for international NGOs;
- Deep understanding of the corporate laws and laws governing the work of I/NGOs in Nigeria;
- Excellent analytical, researching and writing skills;
- Strong interpersonal communication;
This consultancy is only open to Nigerian nationals.
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply