World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
WHO is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Officer – Monitoring & Evaluation Coordinator (M&E)
Vacancy Notice No: AFRO/16/TA19
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract type: Temporary appointment
Duration of contract: 12 months
Organization unit: AF_WSR AF West Sub-Region (AF_WSR) /
AF_NGA Nigeria (AF_NGA) IVE
Objectives of the Programme
To support national authorities reduce morbidity, disability and mortality due to vaccine preventable diseases by improving access and utilization of immunization services; accelerating efforts to achieve polio eradication, measles control, maternal and neonatal tetanus elimination, yellow fever control; promoting innovations including introduction of new and under-utilized vaccines; improving vaccine safety and security and systematizing access to immunization services integrated with other child survival interventions.
Description of Duties
Under the overall supervision of the WHO Country Representative, and direct supervision of IVD Focal Point, the Medical Officer- Monitoring & Evaluation will coordinate planning; monitor and evaluate implementation of work-plans at the national, zonal and state levels; and documentation of implemented activities.
The incumbent performs the following duties:
- Support technical sub-units within the WHO-Nigeria EPI unit to prepare, implement, monitor and evaluate work-plans in line with agreed deliverables;
- Undertake capacity building activities in support of surveillance, polio eradication and immunization operations (service delivery, vaccine supply and quality, logistics, surveillance, advocacy and communication), immunization safety and operational research;
- Support activities aimed at strengthening partnership, advocacy as well as resource mobilization in support of improving performance of immunization activities;
- Support the preparation and/or review and updating of monitoring and evaluation aspects of the EPI programme with implementation of the WCO-Accountability Framework;
- Perform other activities as required by the WHO Representative.
- Essential: Degree in medicine with post graduate degree in public health or epidemiology and/ or doctorate in health sciences.
- Desirable: Post graduate training in public health or epidemiology from recognized academic institution.
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues at national and international levels;
- Ability to provide leadership, monitor progress and design studies;
- Fully conversant in word-processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation, epidemiological (Epiifo) and mapping software.
- Producing results;
- Fostering integration and teamwork;
- Ensuring the effective use of resources;
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond.
- Essential: At least seven years of public health experience including two years of field experience in planning, training, and implementation of M&E.
- Desirable: Technical expertise in public health, epidemiology, disease control and immunization.
- Essential: Excellent knowledge of English
- Desirable: Knowledge of the other UN languages
Remuneration and Benefits
- WHO’s salaries are calculated in US dollars.
- They consist of a base salary and a post adjustment (for international positions only) which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station and exchange rates.
- Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, home travel (for international positions only), education grant for dependent children (for international positions only), pension plan and medical insurance.
Annual Salary: (Net of tax)
- USD 68294 at single rate
- USD 73338 with primary dependants
- 48.9 % of the above figure(s). This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position.
- WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization UNESCO).
- The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/ Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and these will be reviewed individually”.
Application Deadline 19th February, 2016.