VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
VSO is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Advisor (Professional National Volunteer)
Duration: 12 Months
- Providing supportive supervision and coordination of outreach programs; Review project activities for technical adequacy, appropriateness and compliance.
The NPV is a strategic, supervisory and coordination role operating at State level in specific locations, and working with the project team and other volunteers. Responsible for:
- Reviewing project activities for technical adequacy, appropriateness of actions or decisions, and compliance with policy and other requirements;
- Assessing services and recommending improvements;
- Support in coordinating, monitoring and supervising the community-based promotion and mobilization activities related to the project implementation;
- Promoting programme within communities, especially in advocacy and integration of community leaders and decision makers;
- Assist in developing training plans and refresher training of farmers, partners, and Volunteers;
- Support project activities around facilitation, follow-up, coordination, communication, trainings, monitoring and evaluation etc.
- Providing supportive supervision and coordination of outreach programs for community development, partners and volunteers;
- Strengthening programs in the areas of economic and business development, workforce development, education and training, marketing and communications;
- Responsible for community sensitisation and mobilisation regarding all aspects of the project, in close consultation with the various partners and project management team;
Key Performance Indicators
- Stakeholders’ satisfaction with standard and frequency of project activity, progress, outcome, communications, and reports.
- Community and government agency leaders are fully integrated into program and visibly support implementation and mobilization activities.
- High level of community members’ positive participation based on sensitivity, relevance and appropriateness of projects to needs.
- High quality and timely reports to internal and external stakeholders.
- Community sensitization and mobilization events are successfully conducted with positive actions by the beneficiaries.
Striving for excellence – Strength:
- Leads initiatives to improve monitoring, evaluation and learning; is a role model for continuous learning and improvement.
Managing People – Strength:
- Builds a high performing team that meets challenging objectives linked to corporate objectives; ensures own team works efficiently with other teams.
Developing People – Adds value:
- Helps team members to create and implement clear development plans that meet their own -and VSO’s – short and long term needs. Processes and opportunities.
Working together – Strength:
- Successfully leads teams and develops others’ team-working skills.
Communication & influencing – Strength:
- Inspires others by: advocating plans and ideas within and outside VSO; maintaining a wide, influential network; coaching
Managing Knowledge – Strength:
- Leads initiatives that improve knowledge management; develops others’ knowledge management skills.
Leading for the Future – Strength:
- Builds confidence and excitement in VSO’s work and vision, both internally and externally; leads innovative projects.
Thinking Strategically – Strength:
- Leads strategic projects, coaching others to consider global and long-term impact, and to consult within and beyond VSO.
Delivering Results – Strength:
- Analyses objectives, considers options, plans and manages appropriately; holds self and team accountable for achieving goals.
Skills and Knowledge
- Education/Qualification – Bachelor’s degree
- Working Experience: Minimum 10 years of leadership roles working in or closely with government agencies delivering services to women, youth and farmers.
- Organization and planning – Excellent coordination and planning skills with experience of working under pressure.
- Analysis and creative problem-solving – Ability to analyse and quickly grasp the fundamentals of a need or issue. Able to find innovative ways of solving or pre-empting problems.
- Commitment to VSO’s work and values
- Communication – Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to speak fluent Hausa.
- Experience living and working in Northern Nigeria.
- Relationship Building – Ability to build effective working relationships, inspiring confidence and credibility with employees at all levels, and a strong influencer of others.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 30th September, 2016.
Interview/Assessment Date(s) 1st October, 2016.
Start Date 1st November 2016