World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: National Professional Officer, Health Information
Vacancy Notice No: AFRO/16/TASR53
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract type: Temporary Appointment under Staff Rule 420.4
Duration of contract:12 Months
Organization unit: AF_WSR AF West Sub-Region (AF_WSR) /AF_NGA Nigeria (AF_NGA)
Objectives of the Programme
- To enhance the capacity of the national counterparts to analyse and use relevant health status and health systems performance data and research evidence in health sector management and decision-making processes.
- To strengthen capacity for health systems policy research to support universal health coverage (UHC), through the development of reliable information systems and technology and national health research systems.
- To support the application of sustainable information communication technologies solutions in health services delivery.
Description of Duties
Under the overall Guidance of the WHO Country Representative, and direct supervision of the Health Systems Adviser at the WHO Country Office in Abuja, the incumbent will:
- Provide technical support in establishing strengthening and implementing monitoring and evaluation framework for health in the country including the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Provide technical support to build the country’s capacity in health information collection, analysis, and data use, including support for the roll out of the DHIS 2 platform.
- Prepare and compile relevant health information for WCO reports, programme analysis, etc.
- Identify and promote best practices and innovative technologies for HIS.
- Enhance communication and knowledge management of the WHO Country Office Nigeria by providing support in website management, public health advocacy, press release, reports, briefing notes and others as required.
- Provide technical support to the government for activities to improve data quality.
- Facilitate dissemination of and capacity building on WHO guidance and tools on health information management.
- Any other relevant duty assigned to him/her by the supervisor(s).
- Essential: University degree in Public Health, Health Information Management or related fields from a recognized university.
- Desirable: Training in information management including analysis and monitoring and evaluation.
- He/she should have M&E and statistical skills, very good communication and report writing skills, advanced proficiency with spreadsheet applications like Microsoft Excel.
- Producing results.
- Respecting and Promoting individual and cultural differences.
- Moving forward in a changing environment.
- Fostering integration and team work.
- Communicating in a credible and effective way.
- Essential: At least five years’ experience in managing health information and/or global health initiative programmes.
- Desirable: Experience and familiarity with DHIS 2.
- Experience working with international organizations.
- Essential: Proficiency in written and spoken English.
- WHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance), dependency benefits, pension plan, health insurance scheme, and 30 days annual leave.
- Annual salary: (Net of tax) at single rate.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply
- “In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position.
- WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/
- Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and these will be reviewed individually”.
- Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration
Application Deadline 13th May, 2016.