Adam Smith International is an award-winning professional services business that delivers real impact, value and lasting change through projects supporting economic growth and government reform internationally. We specialise in the design, management and delivery of complex projects.
Role Title: Power Sector Reform Lead, NIAF Power Team
Name of Programme: NIAF (Nigerian Infrastructure Advisory Facility) Power Team
About the Programme:
NIAF has been working in the Nigerian electricity sector since 2007 supporting the Government of Nigeria (GoN) deliver its reform agenda for the sector. The Programme has been instrumental in achieving several reform milestones including supporting the privatisation of GenCo & DisCo components of the sector. Presently, NIAF continues to focus on deepening market reforms with an overarching objective of reducing the degree to which power shortages impede economic growth across the country.
Role Description: The Power Sector Reform Lead would be responsible for advancing NIAF’s work on power sector reform, specifically in the areas of electricity market implementation, sector regulation and the commercial framework. This role would be strategic; planning, coordinating and delivering packages of work which collectively advance the overall reform process. This would also involve coordination of power sector specialists, liaising with sector counterparts and the Federal Government of Nigeria as a client base. The role would report to NIAF’s Power Team Lead.
Power Sector Reform Lead responsible for:
- Developing internal NIAF strategy to meet client (DfID) requirements
- Advancing overall power sector reform strategy alongside Government of Nigeria client base.
- Senior stakeholder management across Nigerian Power Sector and Government of Nigeria
- Provide technical leadership of additional power sector specialists and take responsibility for developing the capacity of national staff
- Track record managing teams to provide technical oversight and quality assurance with natural group facilitation and team-working skills
Key Skills / Attributes
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience working in power and energy projects in senior management / advisory / strategic positions
- Deep understanding of power sector reform including unbundling, restructuring and introduction of private sector participation in the developing world.
- Familiar with the structures, institutional roles & responsibilities within a liberalised power sector and market
- Understanding of behaviours and incentive structures for Government and licensees within regulated power sector
- Developing world power sector experience essential, African power sector experience positive
- In-country >60% time. Resident-status preferable
Experience overseeing reform programmes in some or all of the following spheres:
- Utilities restructuring & organisational reform in preparation for private sector participation
- Transactional support for IPP and PPP transaction across the power value chain
- Power procurement and system planning
- Improving the investment environment across power value chain
- Electricity market operation
- Regulatory capacity building and organisational turn-around.
- Tariff analysis, modelling and setting.
- Familiarity with industry agreements (PPAs, Vesting Contracts, TUOS, Grid Codes & Ancillary Service Agreements)
- Development of Energy Access and Rural Electrification Programmes
- Sector reform planning and Roadmap Development
- Preferably “industry-insider” with experience working within a national power sector
Advanced degree in the following fields: Economics /Power Engineering/Legal/ Finance
Duration: 9 months with expectation of extension
Full-time / Part-time: Full Time
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply