Mercy Corps is a global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. We help people survive and get back on their feet when natural disaster strikes, economies collapse, or conflict erupts. Where there are chronic threats to peace and progress, we partner with communities to overcome obstacles, and thrive. We live and work in more than 40 countries facing the world’s toughest challenges.
Mercy Corps Nigeria is implementing a 24 month EC funded project that focuses on adolescent girls but will also target adolescent boys in the course of implementation, through the safe spaces model. The project is implemented in North East Nigeria, titled Investing in the Safety and Integrity of Nigerian Girls. The project is being implemented in 3 states namely, Borno State (Southern Borno), Gombe and Adamawa State. The project is targeting a total of 32 communities, in 11 local government areas. It is envisioned that the safe spaces will run for a period of 6 months.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Curriculum Development Consultant
- Terms of Reference for Development and Adaptation of Curricula for Adolescent Girls and Boys.
Overview of the I-SING Project
Overall Project Objective:
- The project aims to improve the safety, livelihoods and personal agency of adolescent girls in North East Nigeria . The project aims at achieving the following three outcomes:
- Oc1 – Adolescent girls and boys, primarily IDPs alongside host community members aged 10 to 19, have improved life skills, reproductive health knowledge, psycho-social support;
- Oc2 – Adolescent girls and boys (IDPs and host community members aged 15 to 19) will have improved financial literacy, access to savings and loans, and increased opportunities for safer livelihoods;
- Oc3 – Community leaders and members – particularly men and boys – and local service providers offer an enabling and supportive environment for adolescent girls to thrive.
Project Target Groups / Beneficiaries:
- Adolescent girls aged 10 to 19 who are displaced or most vulnerable because of the crises and at risk and without access to services and resources; community leaders, government actors, service providers and gatekeepers; adolescent boys and young men; staff of local actors such as national governmental and non-governmental institutions.
- The final beneficiaries are: 12,000 adolescent girls; 5,000 adolescent boys; 600 young women trained as Safe Space mentors and 120 trained as coordinators; 250 male community leaders trained to support safe spaces and 50 trained as coordinators; 500 community leaders, government actors and service providers. Indirect beneficiaries: 148,160.
Objectives of Consultancy Assignment:
- Desk review of key documents including project documents, similar curriculums that have been developed by various agencies working with adolescents. The curricula include: a) Health, life skills and nutrition, b) Financial education
- Review, revise, simplify and adapt existing curricula based on priority topics to the North East Nigeria context. The simplified versions to include pictorials to be used during discussion sessions
- Adapt existing curriculum paying attention to the audience i.e. age appropriateness and sex
- Produce an integrated learning curriculum based on the revisions.
- Translate important key terms into Hausa language (in the glossary page)
- Train Mercy Corps I-SING staff on the adapted curriculum
Specific tasks to be done by the consultant:
- The assignment will include undertaking the following key tasks:
- With support from MC review relevant curricula that exist. MC will provide the relevant curricula for review but the consultant may also review other documents relevant to this assignment. MC will also provide the priority topics
- Translate important key terms to Hausa and develop pictorials for discussion sessions
- Develop the first draft in both word and PDF formats for review with MC relevant staff
- Develop the final draft incorporating all the feedback provided by MC also in word and PDF format
- Ensure proper citations and approvals where necessary for any material that is adapted from its original version
- Develop the curricula based on the age and sex of the adolescent boys and girls. Adapt methodology and learning methods to age and preferences of target group (e.g. games and short fun activities, discussions and stories)
- Adapt the existing curricula with relevant cultural and religious examples based on the context
- Each topic should have a list of references used in adapting the content
- A Detailed report highlighting the process of the adaptation
- Draft curricula.
- Final curricula.
- Word and PDF copies of the curricula developed
- 4 printed and bound copies of the final version of the curricula
- The assignment is planned to take place in January 2016. The consultant will propose an outline time frame and indicative budget (in Nigerian currency) in response to this TOR. However, it is anticipated that the total number of days work for this consultancy will be 30 days inclusive of all work and outputs
Minimum Criteria for Submission of Proposal
- The consultant is expected to demonstrate that s/he has a track record of no less than two (2) years of experience executing similar assignment within Nigeria.
- Excellent understanding of the North East Nigeria culture and religion
- At least 2 years experience in successfully conducting similar work
- Expertise in working with very young adolescents, with focus on girls’ education will be an added advantage.
- Proven practical knowledge of relevant legal instruments and policies on children’s issues
- Excellent writing, analytical and presentation skills.
- The consultant should also list similar projects worked on in the past based on this assignment.
- At least a Master’s Degree in Education or any related field in Social Sciences.
- The consultant must demonstrate the following knowledge and skills.
- Previous experience on curriculum development and adaptation.
The Consultant is Expected to Display:
- Good knowledge on the culture and religion in the North East including diversity issues;
- Good interpersonal, administrative and management skills;
- High level of experience in curriculum adaptation especially amongst adolescents both in and out of school
- Demonstrated understanding of transferable/life skills education and financial literacy
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English required, including report development, writing and editing. Hausa language skills preferred
Payment and Payment Schedule:
- The first payment of 40% advance of the total agreed contractual amount will be made immediately after the signing of the contract agreement and submission of the first draft of the curricula.
- The final payment of 60% of the total contractual amount shall be effected to the consultant upon the submission of the final product, incorporating all the necessary reviews as deliberated and agreed upon with Mercy Corps.
- The Consultant will have to pay all the legal taxes according to the Nigeria tax laws.
Interested and qualified candidates or organizations should send their proposal documents (containing the following listed below ) to: [email protected] or sealed proposal documents addressed to Operations Manager at:
Mercy Corps Office,
3 Adeleye Close,
Off Usman Sarki Crescent,
Utako – Abuja.
The proposal documents include:
- A technical proposal responding to the ToR, with specific focus on addressing the Scope of Work, timeline and methodology to be used;
- An initial work plan based on methodology outlined, and confirming availability of the applicant;
- Company or organization profile (where applicable) and CVs of consultant(s) who will deliver the work;
- A minimum of 2 references (organization or individual consultant as appropriate);
- Sample of relevant work produced by Consultant / Company within the last 3 years.
- Financial proposal or budget breakdown based on expected daily rates and initial work plan.