The U.S. Consulate in Lagos is seeking to employ suitable and qualified candidate for the position in the Public Affairs Section (PAS):
Job Title: Information Specialist, FSN-11/FP-04*
Work Hours: Full-Time; 40 hours/week
Basic Function of the Position
- The incumbent serves as principal media advisor/liaison to U.S. Mission Nigeria on the electronic media within seventeen states that comprise the consular district of the U.S. Consulate General Lagos.
- This position advises Mission management on appropriate reactions/responses to media stories and is always available to coordinate urgent press matters.
- S/he coordinates placement of U.S. Mission Nigeria and Department of State media products with electronic media in the district.
- Serves as point of contact for and manager of electronic media interviews conducted with U.S. Mission personnel and organizes training for journalists within the consulate district.
Note: All applicants Must address each required qualification listed below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- University degree in Mass Communication, Political Science, Liberal Arts or Broadcast Communication is required.
- Must have thorough knowledge of the bilateral relationships and public diplomacy themes.
- Knowledge of current development in the media sector, including social networking and various messaging system is required.
- Ability to type, draft, edit, supervise and communicate effectively is required.
- Minimum of three (3) years progressively responsible experience as producer or program manager in radio and television is required.
- Level IV (Fluent) Speaking /Reading/Writing in English is required. Language proficiency will be tested. Level IV (Fluent) in either Yoruba or Igbo is required.
Hiring Preference Selection Process
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
- Currently employed NORs hired under a Personal Services Agreement (PSA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment unless currently hired into a position with a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
- Current Ordinarily Resident employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report are not eligible to apply.
- Currently employed U.S. Citizen EFMs who hold a Family Member Appointment (FMA) are ineligible to apply for advertised positions within the first 90 calendar days of their employment.
Or Ordinarily Resident (OR) – N10,948,692 p.a. (Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-11
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
Nor – Not-Ordinarily Resident – AEFM – US$63,632 p.a. EFM/MOH – US$54,610 (Starting Salary) p.a. Position Grade: FP-04*
How To Apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Any other documentation such as degrees or diplomas earned and NYSC Certificates/exemptions or awards.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB.
- Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Submit Application to: [email protected]
Point of Contact: Tel: 09-461-400009-461-4000 Ext 4261
- Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
- All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required work and residency permits to be eligible for Consideration. A U.S. Citizen EFM does not have to be residing in country to be considered, but the sponsoring officer under chief of mission (com) authority does have to Be assigned officially to post.
Application Deadline 18th April, 2016