United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: ERT Driver/Radio Operator
Type of Contract: Service Contract
Post Level: SB-2
Duration of Initial Contract: Initial duration of one year
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the FSCO and oversight of the LSA, the duties of the ERT Driver/Radio Operator will be, but not limited to the following;
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures provision of reliable and safe driving services by driving office vehicles for the transport of UN staff, officials and visitors in the field office.
- Ability to embark on field missions to states within the area of responsibiliteis
- Ensures cost saving through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs in preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Maintains tracks of insurance and other relevant formalities and liaise with country office for renewal as at when due.
- Ensures that the steps required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in an accident/incident.
- Maintains the standard procedure and practice in fuelling and servicing.
- Provides necessary administrative and clerical support in terms of filing, photocopying and maintaining stores when required.
- Maintains good relationship in information gathering and sharing.
- Operate other security equipment and attend to other assigned duties such as registration for security briefing, monitor police escort, etc.
- Carry out office functions including logging of incidents
- In liaison with the Country Office, ensures day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs and routine services as required.
- Ensure proper use of vehicle maintenance plans and assistance in preparing vehicle history report.
- Monitor Emergency Communications System (ECS), receive and relay messages and other informations on the system and assist staff on ECS procedure.
- Provide support for routine security patrol, escort and emergency reaction response as well as may be required.
- Provides necessary services like dispatch and collection of mails as may be directed.
- Ensures availability of all required documents and components/gadgets of the assigned vehicle without loss of any.
- Performs other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
Impact of Results
- The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the UNDSS field office in Kaduna and on the accurate and timely implementation of the overall UN security programme at the country level.
- Commitment to the ideals of the United Nations Charter and the Organization’s core values – Professionalism, Integrity and Respect for Diversity
Planning and Organizing:
- Demonstrated ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor his/her own work plan with minimum supervision. Ability to work under pressure or in crisis situations. Availability to travel within the area of responsibility.
- Ability to actively seek to improve services, offer new and different options to solve problems/meet client needs, and promote and persuade others to consider new ideas
- Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to listen and work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Proven and sustained communication (verbal and written) skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of Secondary Education.
- Possession of Trade Tests and FRSC Certification considered an asset.
- 2-3 years working experience as a driver in an international organisation, UN system, Embassies or government with a safe driving record.
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies, and local roads and conditions.
- Experience in diplomatic security, protection and intelligence considered an asset;
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential.
- Fluency in the most predominantly spoken language in the north of Nigeria is essential.
Other Skills and Requirements:
- Be a Nigerian national (male or female);
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
- Skills in minor vehicle repairs
- Ability to travel
- Physically fit
- Knowledge of HF and VHF radio operation
- Knowledge of host country safety codes;
- Basic computer skills
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 26th November, 2015.