The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the world’s leading crisis response agencies, providing life-saving assistance and supporting recovery and reconstruction for people affected by war and natural disasters.
Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women’s empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster.
Job Title: Assistant Finance Controller
Employee Type: TTA
The TTA Assistant Finance Controller is mainly expected to build IRC Nigeria finance staff capacity on month end closing, cash forecasting, sub grant management, donor financial reporting, internal financial reporting (BVA & BS reconciliation) and payroll accounting through on the job training.
Specific responsibilities within each functional area are as follows:
- Control over and/or entry of changes to the Chart of Accounts, Analysis Codes and Exchange Rates
- Performing or supervising the posting of entries ensuring proper controls are enforced and appropriate systems in place to maintain all required supporting documentation.
- Production of required monthly and ad-hoc reports.
- Developing expertise to control the system, develop new reports and be able to train staff in processing of data.
- Ensuring budgets are loaded on a timely basis
- Ensuring a backup and retention procedure is in place and followed for all SUN master files
- Train IRC Nigeria finance staff on sun processing and month end closing
Field Office Training & Support:
- Providing training and support for the country office program and operational staff on the IRC Finance policies; accounting procedures and requirements, assists the staff in finance related issues and activities.
- Coach, train, provide orientation for and mentor staff with the aim of strengthening their technical capacity, exchanging knowledge within the team
- Supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting performance objectives, providing regular and timely performance feedback, and providing documented performance reviews.
- Review of financial data submitted by the field to identify weaknesses or problems being encountered by field finance staff and recommend corrective action.
- Monitor the follow-up of the staff, vendor advances and other balance sheet items before month end. Train finance staff on follow up of BS reconciliation
- Ensure that the country program cash forecasts and CTR reports are accurate by working with Finance Manager, field and program coordinators to help them develop more accurate cash forecasts of their program needs.
- Monitoring cash usage and requirements and advises the Finance Controller of possible unusual activity or requirements
- Train IRC Nigeria finance staff on cash forecast and CTR reports
- Review the adequacy and effectiveness of IRC Nigeria’s partners/sub-grantees systems and internal policies, rules and guidelines, ensuring that these controls offer adequate protection against error, fraud and loss of all kinds.
- Produce regular partner compliance reports with findings and issues identified during the audit, give appropriate recommendation and actions, providing advice and suggestions on improvements to systems and procedures where appropriate.
- Provide in-person and remote capacity building and/or training to partners in financial management, reporting and compliance.
- Build IRC Nigeria Finance staff capacity building on review of sub-grants financial report and uploading to financial system
- Review and monitor sub-grantees financial reporting and compliance. Provide additional assistance to partners as necessary to maintain high standard of compliance.
- Review partner procurement and financial transactions to ensure adequate supporting documentation, accuracy of amounts and control over payments.
Donor Financial Reports:
- Preparation of draft donor reports for review by the Finance Controller
- Analysis of actual to budget results to identify problems in accounting or compliance
- Identification of procedural or training issues to be addressed to improve the quality of report data.
- Preparation of the creation of detail level budgets in IRC SUN format to ensure required donor reports can be produced form the accounting system
- Provide on the job training to finance managers on preparation of donor reporting
- Supervising the review of the national payroll report ensuring accuracy and standard financial controls are maintained
- Responsible for the preparation and training of finance staff of the monthly international and national staff payroll accounting entries including salary allocations/mapping.
- Liaison with the revenue department to ensure compliance with income tax and other related tax regulations
- Any other duties assigned by the Finance Controller
- The position will be based in Maiduguri, Nigeria with frequent travel within IRC Nigeria field offices (Yola, Mubi and Abuja)
- Finance Controller, Finance Managers, Finance Officers, DDP, DDO, Field Coordinators, Program Coordinators, Program managers, Senior HR & Admin Manager
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Advance Diploma in Accounting from recognized College/Institutions with a minimum of three (5) years of accounting experience in IRC of which 2 years must have worked as finance manager in IRCand management skills to others
- Personal qualities: Team player, flexible, network-builder, able to handle pressure well
- Fluency in English required
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply