The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the world’s leading crisis response agencies, providing life-saving assistance and supporting recovery and reconstruction for people affected by war and natural disasters. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women’s empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster.
International Rescue Committee (IRC) is recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Nutrition Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Employee Type: Regular
Employee Category: Full Time
Scope of Work
- The Nutrition Coordinator will be responsible for the vision, strategy, design, implementation and management of IRC’s Nutrition program in Nigeria, working in collaboration with the Humanitarian Coordinator and Deputy Director of Programs, and directly with the project teams.
- As the focal point for Nutrition programs in Nigeria, s/he will provide technical support to the nutrition program for project design, proposal development and reporting, ensuring that IRC programs are of high quality and that programs are driven by data and learning, working in conjunction with other colleagues in the IRC Nigeria program.
- S/he supervises other nutrition staff, and reports to the Humanitarian Coordinator.
- The position is based in the IRC Maiduguri field office in Borno state but with regular trips to IRC’s nutrition programs throughout Nigeria.
- The Nutrition Coordinator will receive technical support from the Nutrition Technical Advisor based at IRC HQ.
- In collaboration with the other nutrition program staff in Nigeria, oversee the implementation of nutrition projects implemented by IRC Nigeria.
- Ensure that the stated goals and objectives of all nutrition projects are met with strong monitoring and evaluation (M&E) follow up, including any required operational research, with technical support from the Nutrition Information Management team in New York Nutrition Unit and the Country Technical Advisor as needed.
- Participate in the design of robust M&E plans and design/adapt nutrition information systems including surveillance systems for the IRC nutrition programs in Nigeria
- Provide technical support to the nutrition program for program design, proposal development and reporting, ensuring that IRC programs are of high quality and that programs are driven by data and learning, working in conjunction with other colleagues in the IRC Nigeria program.
- Ensure all designed Nutrition projects use the IRC theories of change and that outcomes are evidence-driven and evidence-generated.
- Provide technical supervision and guidance of all IRC nutrition projects. Extend technical support and supervision to the IRC’s implementing partners as the need arises
- Ensure that nutrition programs utilize standardized protocols, policies and guidelines, as outlined by the Federal Ministry of Nutrition and WHO. Ensure that all nutrition activities are consistent with established best practices.
- Promote the quality of the IRC’s nutrition programs by setting up quality assurance mechanisms and checks in collaboration with other staff.
- Ensure sound data collection and information management systems are in place for ongoing performance analysis and programmatic action based on data and identified needs.
- Provide supportive supervison to the other nutrition staff to develop work plans to guide implementation of approved grants. Support the Field teams in the implementation and monitoring of the work plans ensuring that activities reflect the commitments IRC made to the donor and community.
- Develop/organize training opportunities to build the capacity of the nutrition staff and local partners in order to transfer skills. This includes staff training in program management areas such as reporting, budgeting, monitoring, evaluation, and supervision.
- Oversee the implementation of nutrition sector priorities, ensuring that program growth is in line with country strategic plans.
- Review all reports prepared by the nutrition staff and provide appropriate feedback to the concerned staff, and ensure that reports are written and submitted to concerned bodies in a timely manner.
- Review Budget vs. Actual expenditure for nutrition programs on a monthly basis with staff.
- Participate in the development of staff development plans for nutrition staff based on performance reviews in collaboration with the human resources department and contribute to the training of nutrition staff (mentoring, on-the-job sessions as well as formal trainings). Review performance evaluation of nutrition staff in the field.
Representation and Advocacy:
- In coordination with the Humanitarian Coordinator and Senior Management Team actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders in Nigeria including donors, government actors, UN agencies, international and local NGOs, and other relevant actors.
- Upon request by the Senior Management in Nigeria, assist in organizing donor site visits by supporting field staff in the smooth design and implementation of agendas and visit activities.strategic partnerships with local organizations, wherever possible.
- Represent IRC to local communities, government departments, international agencies, local partners and donors as required.
Education and Requirements
- Degree in Food Science, Nutrition or related field e.g. MBChB, Public Health, B.Sc Nutrition etc.
- Minimum 5 years experience in nutrition programs in resource poor settings with at least 3 years in project management position, experience managing nutrition programs; specifically in the Community-based Management of Acute Malnutrition (CMAM), Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) and nutrition BCC approaches.
- Competent in Windows, MS office programs (MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint), email and database (HMIS, DHIS, EPI-Info) experience.
- Experience implementing nutrition programming in hard to reach areas/displaced communities
- Experience in capacity building and mentoring of nutrition staff
- Demonstrated leadership, communication, and facilitation skills; Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills; Excellent coordination and networking skills; Excellent written and oral English skills
- Additional qualities: ability to multitask, ability to handle pressure well, ability to improvise, be flexible, and adaptability to transitions.
- Experience working in Nigeria/West Africa a plus. Willingness to travel extensively in Nigeria
- Background in conducting situation analysis, nutrition and nutrition assessments. Training and competency in LQAS, SPSS, SQUEAC and SMART methodology for conducting surveys is an added advantage. Demonstrated skills in quantitative and qualitative research methodologies; Knowledge, skills and experience in participatory methods, community development and partnership.
- Experience and competency in proposal development, report writing and grant management.
Specific Security Situation/Housing:
- The Nutrition Coordinator will be based in Maiduguri, Nigeria with travel throughout the country.
- The security situation in Nigeria continues to be volatile in the NE with the security level at 3 (orange).
- The candidate should be prepared to implement programming in insecure environments.
- This is a non-accompanied position. The Nutrition Coordinator will live in shared housing.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply