The International Potato Center, known by its Spanish acronym CIP, was founded in 1971 as a root and tuber research-for-development institution delivering sustainable solutions to the pressing world problems of hunger, poverty, and the degradation of natural resources.
CIP is truly a global center, with headquarters in Lima, Peru and offices in 20 developing countries across Asia, Africa, and Latin America.
Working closely with our partners, CIP seeks to achieve food security, increased well-being, and gender equity for poor people in the developing world. CIP furthers its mission through rigorous research, innovation in science and technology, and capacity strengthening regarding root and tuber farming and food systems
The International Potato Center is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Country Coordinator
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
- CIP is seeking the services of an experienced Senior Country Coordinator for Nigeria who will work closely with the Project Manager to implement project activities in close collaboration with national partners.
- Close liaison with national implementing partners is required to ensure demand for seed is synchronized with the seed supply chain.
- The employment contract will be for a 3 year term (with a 3 month probation period).
- The Senior Country Coordinator will be responsible for coordinating advocacy activities and will backstop capacity building initiatives.
- He / She will work closely with the Regional Advocacy Advisor and ensure national advocacy efforts are informed by the outcomes of regional advocacy processes.
- The Coordinator will also work closely with the Communications and Training Specialist in developing appropriate advocacy and behaviour change communication materials.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Working closely with the Project Manager, coordinate the implementation of project activities in the country;
- Support the situation analysis consultant and implement the national advocacy strategy;
- Coordinate policy engagement and investment activities on biofortified crops at national level;
- In collaboration with the Regional Advocacy Advisor, identify advocacy priorities and approaches in Nigeria in line with the project’s advocacy strategy;
- Ensure key policymakers are informed about biofortification and support the efforts of the BNFB project;
- Work closely with the technical team and national implementing partners and coordinate capacity building and seed systems activities that strengthen capacities of government agencies, private sector, NGOs and CBOs to invest in biofortification;
- Support the Communications and Training Specialist with planning training events;
- Work closely with the Monitoring, Learning and Evaluation Specialist to monitor the work of BNFB in the country for quality control and documenting processes and lessons learned;
- Assist in analysing the implementation of progress, data collection and timely reporting to the Project Manager; and
- Supervise nationally recruited staff, financial and operations matters of the project at country as per CIP policies.
- Support the Communications and Training Specialist, the Regional Advocacy Advisor and the technical team in producing relevant advocacy / promotion / behavior change communication materials and gender responsive and culturally appropriate nutrition messages;
- Work closely with advocates, champions, key policy makers, and on-going initiatives to influence the formulation of favourablepolicies, strategies and plans and operationalization of existing policies on bio-fortification at national and regional level;
- Establish and maintain relevant linkages with national advocacy fori / existing multi-sectoral nutrition programmes, bilateral donors, and civil society and initiate establishment / strengthening of a national multi-sectoral advocacy platform that links agriculture, nutrition and health;
- Spearhead the establishment / strengthening of thematic technical and policy platforms on biofortified crops;
Requirement / Qualification
- Master’s degree in agriculture, horticulture, economics, nutrition, development or social science degree;
- Demonstrated ability to manage and motivate staff into a cohesive team and proven record in effectively managing multidisciplinary partnerships;
- Demonstrated awareness and responsiveness to gender and social issues in cross-cultural and gender integration programming;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English required;
- knowledge of one or two local languages of Nigeria preferred;
- Willingness to travel frequently.
- Strong analytical and writing skills;
- Experience in networking, alliance building and previous advocacy experience;
- Experience working in a challenging and fast paced environment;
- At least 7 years’ experience as a project / program manager for a large-scale agricultural advocacy/development project;
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply
Note: Candidates will be required to send a letter of motivation, a full C.V with names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience.
Application Deadline 1st July, 2016.