International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
International Organization for Migration is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Project Officer (Psychosocial)
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment: Special short term, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM), the technical supervision of the Head, Mental Health Psychosocial Response and Intercultural Communication Section, IOM Headquarters (HQs), and the direct administrative supervision of the Resource Management Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing the activities within the framework of IOM program of Emergency Mental Health and Psychosocial Support for affected population in North East of Nigeria, funded by the US, German and French governments.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Ensure strict adherence to the project scope and activities as set forth in the approved project proposal.
- Manage the overall implementation of the programme on a timely manner.
- Supervise and monitor technically and administratively the Psychosocial team (Mobile Teams, Project Assistant and Project Coordinator and consultants).
- Provide technical guidance and oversight to the activities of the psychosocial mobile teams and local non-government organizations (NGOs) supported by the programme, including the implementation of needs assessments, intervention protocols, direct assistance provisions and education.
- Respond to information requests and coordinate the development of further project proposals based on emerging and identified needs in the psychosocial domain in Nigeria.
- Establish a monitoring and evaluation system, regarding the psychosocial program.
- Facilitate, in strict coordination with the MHPSS Section at IOM HQs, the large scale information sharing and publication of this project.
- Ensure proper documentation of every step of the project including regular reporting to the donor as required in the donor agreement, and supervisors, upon need or request.
- Supervise and monitor budget and staffing.
- Ensure donor visibility including focus on funding and budgetary aspects of the project.
- Ensure the integration of cross-cutting issues such as gender, children, and other vulnerable groups are considered in the programme.
- Undertake frequent duty travel to very challenging areas.
- Oversee and organize the implementation of capacity building of staff and mobile teams.
- Develop a curriculum to training of trainers for social and medical service providers and facilitate the training of beneficiaries and other stakeholders.
- Develop tools to monitor the quality of the trainings provided by the trainers.
- Ensure and facilitate close coordination and liaison with all governmental and non- governmental counterparts. In particular: a.) Liaise with national authorities and professionals, including Ministry of Social Affairs, Ministry of Health (MoH) and Academic institutions, both at central and Borno and Adamawa State level; b.) Represent IOM in Mental Health of Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) coordination meetings, Child Protection Working Group meetings and sub-groups at the MoH, Ministry of Education (MoE), and others, as requested by the CoM. Support the establishment of national and humanitarian coordination mechanisms in the mental health of MHPSS domain and represent IOM within those mechanisms.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
- Works effectively with all clients and stakeholders;
- Promotes continuous learning; communicates clearly;
- Creates a respectful office environment free of harassment and retaliation and promotes the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA);
- Incorporates gender-related needs, perspectives, and concerns, and promotes equal gender participation;
- Displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management;
- Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Displays mastery of subject matter;
- Contributes to a collegial team environment;
- Delivers on set objectives in hardship situation;
- Effectively coordinates actions with other partners;
- Works effectively with stakeholders, beneficiaries and the broader community to advance country office or regional objectives.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Psychology, Sociology, Social Work, Anthropology or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
- Professional accreditation with a recognized psychological association-society a distinct advantage.
- Experience in designing, managing psychosocial support programmes in emergency situation;
- Experience in providing psychosocial support in emergency situation;
- Participation to IOM corporate summer school in Psychosocial Interventions in Emergency and displacement will be considered an asset;
- Familiarity with the region an advantage;
- Proficiency in Office applications, including Word and Excel, internet explorer and basic knowledge of SPSS.
- Experience in a complex humanitarian emergency or post-conflict environment;
- Knowledge and experience in facilitating training and developing curricula;
- Experience in clinical counselling psychology, or psychotherapy and counselling for social workers an asset;
- Fluency in English is required.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 14th April, 2016.