International Medical Corps (IMC) is a global, humanitarian, non-profit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training, relief and development programs.
Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, non-political, non-sectarian organization. Its mission is to improve the quality of life through health interventions and related activities that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide. By offering training and health care to local populations and medical assistance to people at highest risk, and with the flexibility to respond rapidly to emergency situations.
IMC has been operating in Nigeria since November 2013. It currently has its country office in Abuja and field offices in Kano, Sokoto and Maiduguri where it is implementing emergency Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) projects, building capacity of local health systems and structures, ensuring the provision of quality, accessible Nutrition and Health Care for Children under five years of age.
IMC is therefore looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Manager to be based in its Maiduguri office.
JOB TITLE: WASH MANAGER
The WASH Manager will be responsible for designing, planning and providing technical leadership in the implementation of IMC WASH activities. He/She will closely work with the team, IDPs and all stakeholders to ensure efficient delivery of safe WASH services in the assigned areas
- To take the lead in designing, managing and implementing IMC WASH programme in Nigeria
- To promote community participation and ownership through liaising with beneficiary communities, establishing, training and supporting community engagement and ensuring that activities are implemented to reflect coverage and prioritized needs.
- To support identification of appropriate new activities in consultation with field staff, local communities, local authorities and organizations operational in Nigeria.
- To support the WASH teams in developing and implementing acceptable WASH infrastructure designs, using appropriate technology where possible
- To support the WASH teams in developing Bill of Quantities (BOQs) for all WASH infrastructure being undertaken by International Medical Corps Nigeria.
- To support the Emergency Programme Coordinator in planning and programme development and application of management tools including the Budget Monitoring Tool.
- Support the WASH Team in developing relevant Training Modules and Monitoring Tools to be used for Community Trainings.
- Contribute towards development of relevant WASH policies, protocols and guidelines to be implemented within the WASH programme at country level.
- To contribute towards development of programme implementation approaches, strategies and the overall Country Programme Strategy
- To carry out any other reasonable duties as requested by the Programme coordinator.
Logistics and Budget Management
- To review WASH related procurement requests from Field Staff, approve where appropriate and follow up with the Logistics/Procurement for timely delivery
- To support the WASH Teams in developing and reviewing activity based budgets for all WASH Programme and programme support components
- To review and monitor all expenditure on budgets and ensure that there is no significant variance between approved budget lines
- Review and approve as per authorization level, all WASH related cash requests from WASH Field team.
- Support Field WASH team in tracking monthly field cash requests through developing relevant tracking tools.
- Support logistics in developing technical tender/bid documents related to WASH Infrastructure constructions, consultancies and conduct technical evaluation of the same.
- To ensure all activities are carried out in accordance with local government procedures (e.g. site selection) and do not duplicate or interfere with activities proposed or carried out by the UN or other NGO
- To liaise with other organizations engaged in similar activities in Nigeria, including the government authorities, UN and other NGO
- To liaise closely with the Emergency programme coordinator to ensure good integration and synergy of all programme activities.
- To represent International Medical Corps in all External Related Forums when called upon by the Programme Coordinators or the Country Director.
Capacity Building and Human Resource Management
- To directly manage the WASH Field team and ensure that program activities are completed within the specified timeframe and to acceptable level of technical and program quality
- To Conduct Annual staff Appraisals to the Field WASH Officer in collaboration with the Field Manager as well as review all Appraisals for staff under the Field WASH Officer
- Facilitate Staff Training on areas of Technical Capacity Gaps as captured in the Appraisals
- Support Field WASH Team in Capacity Building of the Target Communities and Local Authority where necessary
- Review all WASH related donor reports and input into proposals and contribute to WASH information/data gathering as appropriate
- Support the team to deliver weekly updates in a timely manner.
- Compile all WASH Monthly Reports
- Develop all WASH Indicator Monitoring and Evaluation Tools and review the same regularly to adjust to program changes.
- Maters degree in Civil/Water/Environmental engineering, or related field
- At least five years experience of WASH project management with an international NGO
- At least 3 years of WASH programme management in emergencies ( West Africa experience an asset)
- Experience of contract management highly desirable
- Experience of working with communities and community-based organizations
- Experience in promoting community involvement and participation in programme implementation including set up and training of water management and sanitation committees and managing community relations and interaction.
- Previous experience of implementing rural water and sanitation projects
- Demonstrated analytical and conceptual skills to plan projects, timetable agreed activities and oversee activities
- Ability to implement effective projects with sometimes limited resources.
- Excellent computer skills including familiarity with Microsoft Office
- Excellent coordination skills and familiarity with the cluster system
- Ability and willingness to work in remote areas, with quickly changing security conditions (this position will be based in Maiduguri, Borno State, North East Nigeria).
- Outgoing personality with excellent communication skills.
- Good team player, flexible and capable of working with the team.
- Experience managing emergency response donor funded projects ( ECHO/ OFDA)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply