IHS Towers is the largest independent mobile telecommunications infrastructure provider in Europe, Africa and the Middle East. Founded in 2001, IHS provides services across the full tower value chain – colocation on owned towers, deployment and managed services.
Today IHS Towers has operations in Nigeria, Cameroon, Côte d’Ivoire, Zambia and Rwanda. Following the recent acquisitions of MTN and Etisalat’s tower portfolios in Nigeria, IHS owns over 23,300 towers in Africa.
Job Title: Regional Principal Technical Officer
Reports To: GM Regional Operations
Location: Lagos, Abuja, Ibadan, Port Harcourt, Kano
- The Principal Technical Officer will lead and manage all operational activities for IHS in the Region, providing very strategic leadership to the technology and associated support functions. The position will work closely with both direct and matrix leadership teams to ensure that financial and growth objectives for the region are met.
- The PTO will coordinate, organize and monitor the activities/work of the technical function to ensure that all site maintenance work and new site tower construction is carried out to required standards and within agreed budget levels.
- This role is responsible for developing and implementing the operations and technical strategy for the region to support achievement of the organization’s objective.
- Provides technical solutions and keeps the region abreast of all developments in the field of telecommunications equipment infrastructure
- Develops and implements appropriate stocking policy and procedures to ensure sufficient stock levels to service the capital expansion and the operational needs of the region are effectively met.
- Manages sub contractors to ensure that the capital expansion targets of the company are met
- Develops and ensures the implementation of the sites and technical operational budgets (including generators fuel, maintenance and repairs, electricity, security and other administration), and monitors the expenditures to achieve set targets. Consolidates and prepares a variety of routine and special reports on technical related activities including monthly, quarterly and annual reports for the region.
- Ensures the region achieves agreed, cost and revenue targets for both capital and operational expenditure.
- Provides financial, administrative and operating information (and such other information from time to time as may be required by direct report and colleagues.
- Participates in the preparation of annual budgets for the region
- Establishing and developing relationships with key customers.
- Plays a major role in the training, development and growth of technical operation staff through communication skills and delegation, assuring tasks or projects are completed as desired and on time
- Ensures that maintenance and construction of telecom towers are within established specifications and standards, and in accordance and in compliance with the company’s and relevant health and safety requirements, and in compliance with relevant health and safety legislation.
- Develops and ensures implementation of building/construction, maintenance and repair policies, procedures and standards and ensures that these are adhered to by staff, and third party contractors.
- Coordinates and ensures the installation of products and services at the towers to ensure that the company meets its contractual obligations to the customers’ complete satisfaction in the region.
- Provides expert technical advice to the procuring and commissioning of new tower and network electrical equipment to ensure effective decision making in the region.
- Maintain regular contact with sales, marketing and commercial functions of the company to ensure that there is continual feedback about the quality of products and services.
- Responds rapidly to technical issues and any customer (operator) complaints so that problems are speedily resolved to customers’ satisfaction.
- Maintains a high awareness of technical developments in the mobile, telecom/tower business industry to ensure the company maintains its competitive edge.
- In conjunction with sales and marketing, arrange visits for customers and prospective customers to tower sites to develop and maintain their interest in company products and services..
- At least 8 years senior Mechanical or Electrical Engineering and management experience with a technical bias gained within the telecommunications industry.
- Conversant with the statutory regulations and thorough knowledge of the technical processes involved in building, construction and maintenance of towers. Knowledgeable team leader with a good understanding and proven background in supporting a multi-customer mobile network operation.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate across functions with confidence and authority.
- Exceptional oral, written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to carry out instructions and instruct others, interpret documents, understand procedures, write reports and correspondence, speak clearly to management peers and employees.
- B.Sc. Engineering (Electrical/Telecommunications preferred).
- 15 years hands on experience in Telecommunications or IT Industry.
- 8 years in a senior management role
- Training and Experience in management of people and projects in a fast paced technical environment.
- Proven track record of managing a team of project managers and telecom engineers.
- Experience within high-growth start-up telecom/mobile operations, ideally gained within Africa.
- Contract management and service level agreements.
- Excellent knowledge and experience of managing technical activities at both corporate and regional (field) operations.
- Extensive experience in solving technical problems and working in a matrix organization.
- Project management experience and ability to ensure project delivery on a considerable and demanding launch schedule and delivery across a range of demanding and unrelated projects simultaneously.
How To Apply
If you would like to apply for this role, please send your CV and Cover letter to [email protected] indicating in the subject the name and location of the role.