Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is an Italian humanitarian non-governmental organization founded in Milan in 1965. COOPI aims to help the world’s poorest to improve their access to healthcare, food, and financial security, and to overcome their special vulnerability to wars, civil conflicts and natural disasters. For 50 years of long-term support and constant presence in the field, COOPI has been engaged in breaking the cycle of poverty and responding to specific emergencies in numerous sectors, including Food Security, Humanitarian Aid, Health, Socio-Economical Services, Water and Sanitation, Human Rights, Education and Training, Migrations and Sustainable Energy.
With more than 3,900 humanitarian workers employed, and an average of 180 projects per year across 24 countries throughout Africa, Latin America and the Middle East, COOPI is the biggest Italian NGO. During its 50 years of activity, COOPI has successfully completed over 1,600 projects in 63 countries, involving 55.000 local operators and ensuring direct benefits to approximately 100 Million people.
Cooperazione Internazionale (COOPI) is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Humanitarian Response Advisor
Scope of the Consultancy
- The Humanitarian Response Advisor will provide strategic guidance to COOPI mission on sectors and space for scaling up the emergency response in Borno state.
- The position will be primarily based in Maiduguri, capital of Borno State, with possible travels across the areas of operations.
General Objectives of the Consultancy
- Conduct rapid programmatic, logistical and security assessments in the newly accessible areas in Borno state
- Represent COOPI at coordination meetings at Borno state level with UN sector leads, iNGOs, state government and other main actors
- Development of emergency response strategy for programmatic interventions tailored for the most vulnerable IDPs in Borno state
- Advise COOPI mission, based on capacities and needs, to scale up the humanitarian operations in Borno
- Technical field assessment reports for pre identified areas of intervention (needs, targeting, sectors, actors, logistics and security)
- Redaction of 3-4 concept notes for multi-sectoral humanitarian interventions as per the assessments’ outputs to be presented for donors for fundraising
- Final consultancy mission report with recommendations for COOPI Nigeria mission to scale up the response
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Mission, the consultant is expected to undertake the following main tasks:
- Conduct a secondary data review of all relevant reports regarding the Borno nutrition, food security crisis, protection.
- In coordination with the HoM, liaise with the donors based in Abuja
- Represent COOPI at coordination meetings with UN agencies, other iNGOs, donors and government stakeholders at Borno state level.
- Provide regular feedback from field level coordination to HoM at Abuja level
- Draft concept notes for multi-sectoral interventions in the newly accessible areas of Borno for fundraising purposes
- Complete final mission report
- Uphold COOPI’s mission and Charter of Values;
- Follow and enforce all COOPI codes of conduct and policies (globally and in-country);
- Report any violations to appropriate COOPI authority, and participate in preventative initiatives;
- Conduct a mapping of services provided by other actors, versus needs and coverage in order to assess where and how COOPI can scale up and set up operations in Borno
- In coordination with the Country Logistics and Security coordinator, and in coordination with other actors on the ground, map out accessible areas: safety/security and logistics considerations for operations
- Assess COOPI Nigeria capacities (HR, financial, logistical, security, technical etc) and make recommendations to the Head of Mission and the Area Manager regarding any additional needed capacities to strengthen the response plan for Borno
- Coordinate with all the different actors in Borno to explore options for COOPI for partnerships (if any)
Profile of the candidate
- Minimum of 5 years experience in the field of humanitarian assistance, emergency response, rapid assessments, forced displacements, people on the move and any other related fields.
- Experience in building partnerships and networking with relevant stakeholders (donors, UN agencies, NGOs etc) and governmental organisations
- Sound knowledge of the Nigerian context and background of the conflict in the northeast
- Proven experience in conducting rapid assessments for multiple sectors, with a particular focus on food security and nutrition
- Experience in conducting partner assessments
- Ability to plan and organize work and write clear and concise reports and project proposals as well as to communicate effectively (both verbally and in writing)
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills (Excel, Word, Emails, Skype, Web researches);
- Fluency in oral and written English
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Comfortable working in a stressful and security constrained environment
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Proven commitment to accountability practices
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Applications to: [email protected]
E-mail applications inclusive of:
- CV (max 3 pages)
- Cover Letter (max 1 page)
- One Writing sample – for example other completed assessment reports or end of mission reports
Note: Any late application or incomplete submission will not be considered and thus will be disregarded immediately. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted
Application Deadline 15th August, 2016