Heartland Alliance-the leading anti-poverty organization in the Midwest- believes that all of us deserve the opportunity to improve our lives. Each year, we help ensure this opportunity for nearly one million people around the world who are homeless, living in poverty, or seeking safety.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Associate Director of Accounting-GISHR
Req ID: 3171
Employment Type: Regular
Salary Schedule: ADM 3
- This position is primarily responsible for overall financial management and accounting of a multi-year European Commission funded grant.
- The Associate Director of Accounting has dotted line responsibilities to the Heartland Alliance Controller.
- This position also is responsible for helping to create or change, implement, and enforce office policies and procedures as required to maintain the financial health of the Organization.
- This should be accomplished by having a thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- The position will ensure the financial health of the Organization as directed by the Controller, including, but is not limited to, the handling of daily transactions, month-end closing tasks, year-end audit tasks, outside agency audit tasks, and other job-related duties as assigned.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitors and maintains the General Ledger (GL) and the Cash Receipts Journal (CRJ), Accounts Receivable Journal (ARJ), Accounts Payable Journal (APJ), and Cash Disbursement Journal (CDJ).
- Performs, monitors, and delegates duties related to the daily close, month-end close, year-end close, and outside agency audit tasks involving the GL, CRJ, ARJ, APJ, and CDJ.
- Follows organization standards for cash and deposits cycle and implements best practices for foreign exchange transaction processing.
- Assists in the production of contract operating statements, operating statements, balance sheets; and in explaining variances with these financial documents.
- Prepare and/or review budgets, budget narratives, financial reports to donors, and other financial documents and analyses.
- Maintains up-to-date legal registration of the Organization, and ensures business operations are in compliance with all local laws, rules, and regulations.
- Assists in administrative office duties as required by programmatic staff.
- Implements organization and founder requirements for partner organization sub-recipient management, which includes but is not limited to: liaise with partner organization staff; review, verify validity of, and maintain records of expenses made by local partner organizations with program funds.
- Meets contractual obligations and other pertinent matters to business transactions of the Organizations.
- Writes and codes journal entries, bank account reconciliations, general ledger account analyses, cash draw downs, and vouchering.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S) or international equivalent from a four-year accredited college or university and two years of hands on accounting experience.
- Fluency in English required.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from employees, regulatory agencies, or members of the business and financial communities.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and auditors.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have or be able and willing to acquire knowledge of QuickBooks and Financial Edge.
- An individual must be proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Pursuit of or recognition as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or international equivalent is a desirable qualification.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 3rd January, 2016.