BBC Media Action is the international development charity of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), working in over 25 countries across the world. BBC Media Action works in partnership with local media agencies, civil society organisations, and governments to achieve long term development goals. We produce creative media content to inform and engage audiences, and strengthen the media sector by building professional skills and technical capacity. BBC Media Action, the international charity arm of the BBC, is seeking talented professionals with the right experience to join our team.
Job Title: Head of Factual
- At present, BBC Media Action in Nigeria addresses issues of health and governance through a number of different outputs, including factual programming on radio and TV and a limited social media presence.
- We are looking to expand our outputs onto digital and mobile platforms while strengthening our radio and TV productions.
- To help us do so, we are looking for a dynamic and inspiring leader to play a lead role as Head of Factual in our production department.
- The position is Abuja based but may involve travelling to the focal states in Nigeria. The projected start date is June 2015 with a probation period of 3 months. Initial contract is for 1 year with possibility of renewal subject to availability of project funding.
- Strong editorial decision-making experience and ability to uphold good journalistic practice, gained through producing your own factual programs and, ideally, overseeing the outputs of others.
- Experience of managing and co-ordinating factual production teams to deliver several different outputs simultaneously.
- Demonstrated experience supporting the professional development of staff in editorial judgement and decision-making, creativity and technical skills.
- A proven track-record in designing, developing and making factual programmes for radio and/or TV.
- Proven experience using social media ass platform for delivering programs or other production output.
- Excellent interpersonal leadership and people management skills. Experience of leading and managing talent and production teams, as well as managing diverse teams.
- Production budget management experience.
- Knowledge of. or ability to learn, EEC editorial values, aims and objectives.
- Understanding of production-related technology and techniques for radio, TV or digital platforms.
- Excellent communication skills in English (verbal and written).
- Evidence of experience and skill in using radio, TV or other media platforms to address developmental issues – for example, governance arid health.
- Understanding of the principles of behaviour/social change communication.
- Experience of overseeing a multi-media production project especially using mobile technology.
- Hausa language skills would be strong advantage.
- A degree in Journalism. Mass Communication, Communication Arts, English or the Social Sciences or any other relevant field would be art advantage.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job.
Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Editorial Judgement – demonstrates balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough understanding of EEC editorial guidelines, target audience, programme and department objectives. Makes the right editorial decisions, taking account of conflicting views where necessary.
- Managing relationships – able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team. Values individual’s differences and demonstrates a commitment to knowledge sharing and informal learning, for the benefit of the team.
- Creative Leadership – Ability to lead a diverse production team, identify and nurture talent, and inspire others to realize an identified vision.
- Planning and Organization – Able to think ahead in order to establish sri efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others; planning of activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Developing Others – able to recognise potential (managerial, professional, artistic or otherwise) and is willing to foster the development of that potential. Creates a climate in which potential can be realised.
- Decision Making – is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
- Strategic thinking – Able to identify a vision and create plans for implementation of that vision to meet the end goal. Evaluates situations, decisions, and issues in the short, medium and long-term
- Change Management -Able to understand and anticipate the need for change and to build frameworks for planning and managing the continuous process of change.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should please send in their application/cover letter with a capability statement stating their capability for the job, as well as a detailed curriculum vitae (word document please) with names and addresses of at least 2 professional referees (including their telephone, fax and email addresses) to: [email protected] with the position applied for clearly stated on the application letter.
Application Deadline: 28th May, 2015