BBC Media Action is the international development charity of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), working in over 25 countries across the world. BBC Media Action works in partnership with local media agencies, civil society organisations, and governments to achieve long term development goals. We produce creative media content to inform and engage audiences, and strengthen the media sector by building professional skills and technical capacity. BBC Media Action, the international charity arm of the BBC, is seeking talented professionals with the right experience to join our team.
Job Title: Head of Drama
- The position is Abuja based but may involve traveling to the focal states in Nigeria. The projected start date is June 2015 with a probation period of 3 months. Initial contract is for 1 year with possibility of renewal subject to availability of project funding.
- At present, BBC Media Action in Nigeria addresses issues of health and governance through a number of different outputs, including drama programming on radio.
- We are looking to expand the reach of our drama Outputs using digital, mobile and TV platforms while strengthening our current radio productions.
- To help us do so, we are looking for a dynamic, creative and inspiring leader to play stead role as Head of Drama in our production department.
- Substantial experience producing drama for radio, TV or other platforms.
- Highly advanced storytelling and other creative drama skills and instincts, including the demonstrated ability to originate new ideas and see them through production or completion.
- Demonstrated experience supporting the professional development of staff in creativity, editorial judgement, technical skills and decision-making.
- Experience of managing and coordinating drama production teams to deliver outputs, preferably experience coordinating multiple teams simultaneously.
- Strong editorial decision-making experience and judgement.
- A passion for drama and other forms of storytelling – and the demonstrated ability to translate that passion into creative, cutting edge programming.
- Excellent interpersonal leadership and people management skills. Experience of leading and managing talent and production teams, as well as managing diverse teams.
- Understanding of the latest production-related technology and techniques for radio, TV or digital platforms.
- Production budget management experience.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn, 880 editorial values, aims and objectives.
- Excellent communication skills in English (verbal and written).
- Evidence of experience and skill in using radio, TV or other media platforms to address developmental issues -for example, governance and health.
- Demonstrated interest in the evolving models of creative communication in a development context.
- Experience of overseeing a multi-media production project especially using mobile technology.
- Hausa language skills would be a strong advantage.
- A degree in Theatre Arts, Mass Communication. Communication Arts, English or the Social Sciences or any other relevant field would be an advantage.
- Creative Thinking – able to transform creative ideas into practical reality. Can look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions.
- Strategic Thinking – can identify a vision along with the plans which need lobe implemented to meet the end goal. Evaluates situations, decisions, issues etc. in the short, medium and longer-term.
- Decision Making – Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
- Planning and organisation – able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources.
- Communication – able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Influencing and persuading – able to present sound and well reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in away that results in agreement or behaviour change,
- Managing relationships and team working -able to build and maintain effective working relationships With a range or people. Works co-operatively with others lobe part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
- Leadership – able to create a vision and inspire others to realise it irrespective of circumstances
- Developing Others – is able to recognise the potential (managerial, professional, artistic or otherwise) and is willing to foster the development of that potential. Creates a climate in which potential can be realized.
- Resilience – manages personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of pressure, set hacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Flexibility – adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change. and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organization or job requirements.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should please send in their application/cover letter with a capability statement stating their capability for the job, as well as a detailed curriculum vitae (word document please) with names and addresses of at least 2 professional referees (including their telephone, fax and email addresses) to: [email protected] with the position applied for clearly stated on the application letter.
Application Deadline: 28th May, 2015