GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), one of the world’s leading research based pharmaceutical and healthcare companies, is committed to improving the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer. GSK employs over 97,000 employees in over 100 countries worldwide.
GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Nigeria Plc is one of Africa’s largest consumer healthcare companies, producing leading brands such as Lucozade, Ribena and Panadol.
GlaxoSmithKline Plc is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Group Product Manager, Drinks
Requisition ID: WD67592
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Position: Full time
Functional area: Marketing
- Develops and implements brand strategies that will deliver long term strategic and profit objectives as well as grow and nurture strong brands.
- Formulates longer term financial budgets and projections based on the strategies developed.
- Liaises closely with global role players within GSK regarding best practices, global strategies, R&D etc.
- This forms the core of the organization’s activities and aims to develop a strong competitive position for GSK brands in the local market.
- This activity largely determines the actions of other disciplines including Sales, Production, Finance and Distribution.
- Direct supervision of 1 Brand Manager (Ribena).
- Manages the strategic alliances between GSK and advertising, promotional and other suppliers, as well as the interaction between the local market and other GSK business units (e.g. Global category team, other African markets, etc.).
- Responsible for Net sales of £60M.
- Manages an annual marketing investment budget of approximately £7m– across both brands.
- Responsible for the co-ordination of all cross-functional activities between marketing and other departments within GSK. This includes Sales, Customer Marketing, Finance and Supply Chain.
Develops strategic long, medium and short term plans for brands by:
- Developing strategies that will deliver the 3 year sales, profit and marketing objectives for the category. Championing the category planning process, this directs the internal brand plans.
- Analyzing past performance, economic variables etc, against the backdrop of growth – and profit objectives, in collaboration with the brand team and other key stakeholders.
- Developing detailed 1 year plans for all new and existing brands which will ensure the achievement of strategic objectives in conjunction with Brand Managers and aligned agencies.
- Replans to accommodate deviations / changes in market conditions by devising and implementing new action plans, in order to ensure the brands retain their competitive advantage.
- Collaborates with global category teams and Franchise partner.
- Overseeing the implementation of innovation across the portfolio.
- Ensuring that the Drinks team is familiar with the science behind the brands (Brand Science training) in order to apply relevant innovation and support plans to the brands.
Directs and co-ordinates the implementation and achievement of agreed plans by:
- Providing advice and direction to the Drinks team.
- Initiating and coordinating progress on all projects to the leadership team.
- Facilitating implementation with other functions within the organization as well as with aligned agencies.
- Overseeing the monthly management of the advertising and promotions budget.
Monitors, analyses and evaluates market place developments relating to:
- Category understanding.
- Own and competitive developments.
- Sales and supply chain performance.
- Consumer behaviour (in conjunction with Insight Manager).
Manages and motivates staff by:
- Acting as a mentor and providing ongoing coaching to direct reports and other team members in preparing staff for future roles.
- Identifying training and development needs via the performance appraisal process.
- Recruiting and selecting staff in conjunction with Human Resources.
- Championing succession planning through the talent review process.
Carries out managerial duties by:
- Referring to superior for counsel and where necessary approval of strategies and plans.
- Working within budget parameters.
- Liaising with the world-wide GSK organization regarding best practices, global strategies, R&D etc.
- Develops a loyal consumer franchise for the company’s brands by creating positive brand perceptions, associations and usage experiences, through tools such as advertising and promotions management, in order to build strong brands and ensure the long-term profitability of the company.
- Monitoring progress towards achieving objectives.
- Liaising with other functions and departments regarding issues such as distribution, production, R&D, sales performance, etc. on the Drinks category.
High level decisions / problem solving undertaken in the following areas:
- Development and implementation of short, medium and long term brand and communication strategies.
- Technical aspects relating to packaging, claims, formulations etc.
- Selection, resource allocation and development of a strong marketing team.
- Establishment of sound business and marketing processes in the local market.
- Brand positioning and persuasive advertising executions.
- Brand sales budgets / profitability / pricing and other financial aspects.
- Required marketing investment behind brands as well as medium used to deliver the message
- Establishment of a new product development pipeline.
Position requires in depth analysis of complex subject matter such as:
- General economic data and variables.
- Local and global market trends and developments / own and competitor activity.
- Consumer research / communication.
- In depth financial analysis and projections.
- Brand positioning / potential positioning / own and competitive advertising.
- Success in this position is highly dependent on the generation of innovative brand strategies, brand positioning, consumer communication and product offerings. Innovation and independent thinking is regularly required in the following areas:
- Communication strategy and creative execution.
- New product development.
- Product promotion.
- Strategy development and implementation.
Annual Strategic Planning:
- Responsibility for the development and implementation of all Drinks category marketing related aspects of the 3/1 Plan.
- A university honours Degree; at least 5 years experience with a minimum of 3 years line management experience.
- Strong management, motivational and team building skills and experience in order to effectively manage, coach and mentor a brand team.
- Sound strategic marketing skills, supplemented by strong general business and financial acumen.
- Good understanding of the complex economic and socio-political environment in Nigeria in order to successfully formulate strategies within these constraints.
- Insight into and understanding of consumer attitudes, behaviour and motivations.
- Sound technical knowledge of the advertising, media and marketing research disciplines
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply