The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
In light of the displacement in the north eastern part of Nigeria, NRC is about to start up an emergency response programme in Nigeria to respond to the humanitarian needs.
In the coming months, the main focus for NRC would be conflict affected populations including IDPs, returnees and the local communities in Borno State. NRC will initially be starting activities in the area of food security, water and sanitation and shelter sectors. NRC is therefore seeking a Logistics Officer for the NRC Field Office in Maiduguri, Nigeria for 2015.
Applications are hereby invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates to fill the Food Security Coordinator Vacancy at The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC)
Job Position: Food Security Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Reports to: Food Security Project Development Manager (PDM).
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Management of food security project field staff.
- Adherence to food security tools and handbooks and other NRC policies.
- Contribute to food security strategy development and provide input on needs and gaps from relevant area.
- Manage and implement delegated portfolio of food security projects (activities, budget and project documentation) in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality, and provide regular reports to PDM.
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist.
- Develop and manage project budget, as delegated from PDM.
- Promote and share ideas for improvement and necessary changes in the activities.
- Ensure capacity building of project staff and transfer key skills.
- Liaison and collaborate with relevant local authorities and stakeholders.
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience from working with food security projects in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- University degree in Agronomy, or other relevant educational background combined with relevant professional experience, such as livelihood and market based approaches.
- Experience from project implementation of cash and voucher approaches is an added advantage.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile.
- Managing resources to optimize results.
- High-level competency in computer skills.
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal.
- Fluency in one or more of the national/regional languages.
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity.
- Ability to work in insecure environments.
- Communicating with impact and respect.
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Commencement: As soon as possible
- Contract period: 31st December (with possibility of extension)
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s directions
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate can submit their application letter and updated CV to:[email protected] . The title of the position (Logistics Officer Maiduguri) must be indicated in the subject line of your e-mail. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Note: Any application received after the deadline will not be considered
Application Closing Date
6th of August, 2015