The International Finance Corporation (IFC), the private sector arm of the World Bank Group, is one of the leading investors and lenders in emerging markets. The mission of IFC is to promote sustainable private sector in developing countries, helping to reduce poverty and improve people’s lives. IFC invests in companies on its own account as well as mobilizes capital in the international financial markets, helps clients improve social and environmental practices and also provides technical assistance and advice to governments and businesses.
IFC’s Africa Telecom, Media & Technology Group (CTTAL) within Telecom, Media, Technology & Venture Investing Department (CTT) invests in private sector businesses in various TMT sub-sectors across Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA). The Group has a successful track record of debt and equity transactions in mobile telephony companies, submarine cables, satellite operators, broadband networks, independent tower companies, data centers as well as information technology (IT) enabled services and FinTech companies.
The Group is unique for its regional and global prospective on the TMT space, long-term approach to investments, ability to leverage the resources of the entire World Bank Group, as well as its commitment to maximizing the value of its portfolio companies through sustained assistance. To expand IFC’s investments in the TMT sector in SSA, IFC seeks an investment professional, to be based in Lagos, Nigeria.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 3 year term appointment.
Investment Officer – Associate
|Duties and Accountabilities:|
|The responsibilities of the Associate Investment Officer/Investment Officer will include but not be limited to:• Promote IFC’s investment activities in the TMT sector in SSA, with particular focus on Nigeria
• Identify viable investment opportunities that deliver both development impact and commercial profitability
• Execute financing transactions – both equity and debt – from appraisal, valuation, financial analysis and presenting to IFC’s internal credit review and IFC’s board – to negotiating and closing
• Build a strong pipeline of potential investment opportunities
• Help develop and implement innovative and appropriate financial structures for complex transactions
• Lead project teams, mentor and develop junior staff
• Help build and maintain a network of local and regional co-investors and co-lenders in order to develop specific investment opportunities and provide funding alongside IFC
• Help establish and maintain relationships with TMT industry players in SSA region, particularly, in Nigeria
• Manage IFC’s investments in selected portfolio companies including monitoring and ensuring compliance with the terms of the investment agreements, preparing timely credit risk assessment reports and equity valuations and developing and implementing equity sales strategies
• Collaborate in developing IFC’s strategy for various TMT sub-sectors
• Develop new initiatives for investments in the TMT sector in SSA
• Work closely with IFC’s SSA regional teams to deliver IFC’s investment targets and development impact.
|• MBA or equivalent• At least 5-8 years of investment experience with a proven track-record of sourcing and closing financing transactions; TMT investment experience preferred
• Knowledge of the TMT sub-sectors; knowledge of equity investment and/or project finance is essential; investment transaction and/or portfolio supervision experience in TMT sectors in emerging markets is a plus
• SSA investment experience preferred
• Sound business judgment in identifying potential business partners
• Strong financial and credit skills; demonstrated ability to work with a variety of complex financial instruments (debt and equity)
• Ability to interact directly and independently with senior management of potential clients, technical partners and senior government officials
• Existing network amongst regional or SSA focused private equity funds, commercial and investment banks, investment advisors and strategic investors preferred
• Successful candidates should have the ability to work in a multi-country team, be actively involved in multiple projects and mentor junior staff
• Genuine commitment to sustainable development
• Willingness to travel extensively
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English; fluency in French is a plus.
Method of Application
To apply for this role, click here