Oxfam is a confederation of 17 Affiliates committed to creating a just world without poverty. In Nigeria Oxfam works in the areas of Economic Justice/Sustainable Livelihoods, Humanitarian programming to save lives, Advancing Gender Justice and Good governance, adopting a rights based approach.
Christian Rural and Urban Development Association of Nigeria (CRUDAN) is a Christian, not-for-profit, Non-Governmental Organization, working to ensure that Nigerian communities experience sustained food security, improved household nutrition, economic justice, natural resources management, disaster risks reduction, conflict transformation and humanitarian aid without bias to faith, gender or ethnicity.
Development Exchange Centre (DEC) is a non-government, not-for profit organization with a mandate to support rural and urban women to improve living conditions. This is pursued through the provision of social and micro finance services for socio-economic empowerment.
Oxfam, CRUDAN and DEC seek multiple positions for the anticipated four year EU-funded pro resilience action (PRO-ACT) aiming at building food security and resilience in Northern Nigeria. The program will improve the food security, nutrition and resilience of vulnerable groups in 7 LGAs in Kebbi and Adamawa States of northern Nigeria. It will (i) deliver rapid improvement in livelihoods and preparedness toward risks for vulnerable populations and communities including women and youth; (ii) strengthen resilience, food security and natural resource utilisation of small holder farming communities; (iii) improve strategic linkages for food security and support to local market systems and; (iv) improve response capacity of government towards social protection, early warning systems and strengthen local frameworks towards resilience building.
Finance and Compliance Officer
JOB TITLE: Oxfam
LOCATION: Abuja/ Nigeria (1)
Salary: Based on the National Salary Scale of Nigeria Country Office
Duration: 4 years
JOB FAMILY: Finance
LEVEL: D1 OXFAM PURPOSE:
To work with others to find lasting solutions to poverty and suffering.
To provide a proactive, efficient and effective financial management service to Oxfam’s Programme in Nigeria and West Africaas maybe required
To be responsible for the provision of efficient and effective accounting services to Nigeria through technical support to finance and non finance in the region, capacity building and quality control on financial information to internal and external stakeholders. The position will also provide a proactive, efficient and effective donor and financial compliance & risk management service to Oxfam’s Programme in Nigeria
Post holder reports to: Business Support Manager (BSM).
Staff reporting to this post: Two or more staff
BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY: None but strategic monitoring and probity requirement
- Provide Financial Management Support to Country Programmes and Partners for effect and efficient financial management
- Support enforcement of local laws and OGB corporate standards as they affect Finance for judicious accounting, reporting and total compliance to donor’s guidelines, policies and contractual conditions
- Train Finance staff on OGB and donors Finance procedures/tools with post training implementation follow ups, refreshers, hands on coaching/mentoring and flagging and timely resolving non compliance challenges via various tracking methods including ‘Transactions Compliance Testing’ (TCT)
- Handle queries and promptly resolve queries on financial and contractual compliance matters from internal and external stakeholders from time to time including daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly as may be most appropriate
- Prepare monthly detailed reports in donor’s formats, Interpret Financial Information for departmental and senior managers informed decision making and required actions arising from Budget and Actual monitoring meeting.
- Supervise day to day transaction processing (directly or indirectly) – problem solving at national office, state offices and ensuring partners’ finance staff are effectively documenting, recording systemically using the required tools and framework
- Contributes to effective project expenditure monitoring including management of restricted funds, may include unrestricted of the Nigeria country office as maybe assigned to by the management
- Develop risk profile with mitigation set of defined solutions for regular monitoring, updating and ensuring implementation of required ways of working. Also, contribute to annual/other assessments of partners and reviews in the country team including the Region when required.
- Lead and support Internal and External audits in the country office and ensuring that audit findings and recommendations are reviewed regularly for implementation as much as possible providing reasons if any recommendation is not implementable.
- Contribute to management to the overall business support unit’s objectives and output deliverables in a qualitative manner.
- Staff performance objectives planning, development and periodic staff performance monitoring, evaluation and performance development plans development for enhancing skills and performance
- Participate in budget development, revision from time to time
National, States and partners offices Duties
- Ensure quality of financial accounts is maintained.
- Ensure compliance with corporate deadlines for financial account reporting
- Manage and monitor the regular (daily/monthly) reconciliation of time sheets, complete supporting documentation for each transaction, ensuring that all discrepancies are promptly cleared by partners and staff and flagging concerns through the management line when discrepancies are left unresolved for more than a month.
- Ensure accurate EOC/pension provisions Account, reviewed monthly and reconciled with PeopleSoft.
- Ensure accurate project acquired Fixed Asset Register (FAR) is maintained in line with donor requirements. Participate in or ensure quarterly physical asset verification and reconciliation to PeopleSoft data.
- Ensure financial procedures in the country office is consistent with corporate and donor finance standard and where they do not, take remedial action and/or recommend exception procedures to management for review and sign off.
- In coordination with BSM, develop audit term of reference, supervise internal and external audits to ensure timely and effective audits from time to time.
- Monitor Cash flows to ensure appropriate amounts of cash are being maintained for unimpeded program delivery.
- Review transactions listing (partners & Oxfam) for accuracy, adequacy, existence and relevance to budget lines, conditions and coding (PeopleSoft and auxiliary C code) are consistently used and cross reference on all documents, and accurately transcribed into PeopleSoft template before posting into the system.
- Ensure that field office financial documents are scanned, for the conduct monthly TCT and feedback on compliance to partners, BSM, Project Managers. Monitor non compliance for appropriate actions for prompt resolution of findings before the next TCT.
- Ensure that donor detailed budget is in PeopleSoft, partners grants are timely released, accounted for and monthly update budget and expenditure in PeopleSoft in accordance with Oxfam Donor Contract Management (DCM) using codes 70000, 71000 & 72000.
- Produce relevant monthly management financial information for various end users staff to support in management decision making.
- Support in the preparation and monitoring of consolidated donor Budgets when required
- Participate in inception meetings, monitoring visits and roll out of various financial tools when required. Ensure that agreed tools are used.
- To ensure effective partner financial management across the country programme including partner capacity building.
- Ensure effective restricted contract management including quality check of donor reports and capacity building of staff on the same.
- To provide support to Country Programme staff in the annual budgeting process.
- Train staff and support staff in the use of PeopleSoft and monitor the agreement amongst CRIMSON, OPAL and PeopleSoft.
- Preparation of statutory financial accounts for the country office (usually end of the year) i.e. Income statement and Balance Sheet
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Act as cover in absence of BSM.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
- Bachelor/HND degree in accounting
- At least five year’s experience in finance, ideally with at least two years working in a supervisory position.
- Proven leadership skills in motivating multi cultural and multi sectoral teams.
- Ability to develop and produce critical finance management tools to ensure excellent financial services to deliver the programme.
- Proven experience of managing funds raised from institutional donors such as EU, ECHO, OFDA, DFID, etc
- Experience of managing donor schedules and production of donor reports.
- Proven knowledge and experience of computerised systems, preferably with accounting packages as well as advanced Excel skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work on own and within various teams.
- Excellent communication skills, fluency in verbal and written English/French.
- Ability to delegate, coach and develop staff.
- Ability to manage competing tasks; ability to prioritise and produce high level output consistently.
- Knowledge of local laws related to finance will be an advantage.
- Critical awareness of gender equity principles and commitment and interest to developing these within Oxfam.
- Able to travel to field offices on a regularly basis
- Fluency in verbal and written English
Partner (CRUDAN &DEC) Finance Officer
Duration: 4 years
To process the daily, monthly financial information for the partner CSO Office and to assist with the management and administration of finance/admin duties in the EU programme. He or she ensures that financial records comply with donor’s regulations and policies and procedures by accurately processing and reviewing journal entries and vouchers, ensuring that proper management and control are maintained for all financial transactions and providing support to achieve overall objectives of the program.
Post holder reports to: Partner Livelihoods Program Officer
Staff reporting to this post: None
· Significant transactions processing and documentation· Carry out clearly defined tasks laid down by Coordinator/ managers / supervisor.
Tasks are routine but may require the use of some initiative and/or basic planning.
· To be responsible for the proper use of equipment under direct control.
· Required to give straightforward information to colleagues, supervisors and occasionally members of the public.
· Tracking of grant disbursements and monitoring of outstanding trenches using a customised tool for this purpose
· To maintain all primary financial records in the accounts office and ensure that these records are accurate and up to date.
· To maintain a filing directory of files for accurate, consistent and shelving/archiving with 99% timely retrieval rating.
· Scan all payment vouchers electronically and store in the hard drive and all other confidential documents
· To prepare batches of consolidated vouchers (receipts and payments) produced in the office and ensuring that these are presented to the Finance Officer for posting at the end of the day or at the end of the week, at least
· Recording of transactions in system that answers key questions (what? Who? When?…) about every transaction.
· Ensuring that recording of transactions match the source documents in coding (primary & secondary), nature and referencing
· Cash & cheques disbursements and ensuring proper security of cash, both in the safe and in transit. Conduct cash count and document the process with appreciate sign off.
· To ensure that all accounts have all the supporting documents (approval notes, goods received notes, invoices, receipts, etc.) and that all records are filed or stored in good order according to the guidelines set by the programme
· To support internal and external auditors by providing all supporting documentations in an orderly and timely manner
· To ensure that all payment request forms, invoices, LPOs, receipts and any other payment documents are critically checked for accuracy and correctness and has met minimum accounting standards
· To ensure accurate and proper coding of expenditure on all primary documentation
· Paid STAMPING of all processed financial documents along with proper coding of expenditure as they occurred.
· Transfer all financial document two months old to archives with appropriate documentation for storing and retrieval processes.
· Remittance of all taxes and staff pensions in a timely manner with one week of occurring
· Maintain asset register
· Bank reconciliation
· Maintain store inventory (in stock/out stock
SKILLS AND COMPETENCE:
· Bsc/HND in Accounting and related courses or related fields
· Accounting/banking qualification with minimum 3 years working experience
· Good level of financial and numerical skills
· Good filing and archiving knowledge
· Good communication skills – both written and verbal; experience of writing reports
· Subscribe to high moral code of ethic.
· Computer literacy especially in excel, power point and word-processing skills
· Fluency in written and spoken English and Hausa.
· Good communication and interpersonal skills.
· Ability to prioritise a complex workload
· Ability to work as part of a team with value adding characteristics
OTHER:To provide backup support functions within the business support unit as may be assigned including over for log & admin roles as deemed necessary by Line & overview managers.
Method of Application
If you are interested in on of these positions, please email your application letter and curriculum vitae in English firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of the Recruiter, not later than July 6, 2015
For enquiries contact email@example.com for Oxfam,firstname.lastname@example.org, for DEC-Bauchi and email@example.com for CRUDAN
Please note that applications sent to this enquiry email will be disqualified.
OXFAM IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY ORGANISATION; QUALIFIED FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.