USAID/Nigeria in Abuja is seeking to employ a suitable and qualified candidate for the position in the Program Office:
Job Title: Senior Program Development Specialist, FSN-11
Work Hours: Full-time; 40 hours/week
Basic Function of the Position
- The incumbent’s primary responsibilities include: support for program and project development which comprises strategic planning, project design, and underlying analyses; program administration and monitoring which entails overseeing obligation of funds along with all aspects of budget planning, reporting and notification, supporting communication and planning with the Government of Nigeria; and serves as the Program Office representative to technical teams to provide guidance on various aspects of program implementation, project development, monitoring and evaluation, development outreach, and budget planning.
- S/he assists in the preparation of outreach and briefing materials on the USAID/Nigeria program. The incumbent advises Mission senior management on Nigeria political and/or economic developments that may impact the Mission’s strategic plans and program performance.
- S/he plays a key role on issues related to the implementation of Development Objective (DO) programs, such as the design of new activities, budget/pipeline, or identification of best practices to be shared Mission-wide.
- Additionally, s/he is the Mission site administrator for GLAAS, the webbased procurement management system; occasionally serves as Acting Program Officer during the absence of the senior principals.
Note: All applicants Must address each required qualification listed below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- University degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field is required.
- Good understanding of political and economic situation in Nigeria and the region; problem areas in general (state of the economy, energy sector, governance, and status of basic social indicators is required. Must have an awareness of key donor organizations, development partners, and other stakeholders working in the country.
- Ability to recommend solutions in complicated situations, taking into consideration myriad factors and variables such as late budget appropriations, delayed availability of funds, uncertain funding levels and unexpected budget reductions. Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) with the ability to manage complex budget data including ability to use database management applications to manage increasingly complex budgets. Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in development program management, accounting, finance, budget analysis, planning or execution; project design, program planning, program/project budgeting and evaluation is required. At least two (2) years of this experience should be in an English-language environment with an international or non-governmental organization.
- Level IV (Fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing in English Language is required. Language proficiency will be tested.
- Thorough Knowledge and understanding of professional accounting principles, theories, practices, and terminology as well as principles and accepted practices of governmental and business financial accounting, budgeting, and reporting is required.
Hiring Preference Selection Process
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- Mission HR’s decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
- If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility.
- If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans’ preference will not be considered in the application process.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the local security certification after selection.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employed (WAE) work schedule
Or – Ordinarily Resident – N10,948,692 p.a (Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-11
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
How to Apply
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Any other documentation such as degrees or diplomas earned and NYSC Certificates/exemptions or awards.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB.
- Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Submit Application to: [email protected]
Point of Contact: Tel: 09-461-4000 Ext 4261
Note: Due to the high volume of applications received, we will only contact applicants who are being considered. Thank you for your understanding.
Application Deadline 14th June, 2016.