FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of:
Social & Behavior Change Communication Advisor
The SBCC Advisor will provide direction, communication technical expertise, and oversight of all project SBCC activities for the Nigeria Malaria Project. He/she will assist the National Malaria Elimination Program (NMEP), and, working with the project SBCC and Community Mobilization Officers, collaborate with and build capacity of the Ministry of Health (Federal, State, Local Government (LGA) level) communication personnel and private-sector counterparts to identify, develop, implement, and monitor an array of SBCC approaches to changing and maintaining behaviors in the area of malaria prevention and treatment. Working with the Research and M&E Advisor, improve on NMEP’s and partner’s ability to measure and monitor SBCC; Support malaria advocacy, communication, and social mobilization at Federal, State and LGA levels and play a leadership role in integrating SBCC activities in other health programs.
- Meet regularly with representatives of the NMEP, USAID, partners, and other stakeholders to integrate feedback including Federal, State and LGA strategic plans into key campaign messages, including correct and consistent LLIN use and maintenance; comprehension and use of ACTs; and increased use of ANC services.
- Working with the SBCC and Community Mobilization Officers, develop SBCC messages to improve at risk population’s awareness of the risk of malaria during pregnancy and promote the use of IPTp during various phases of pregnancy.
- Conduct strategic behaviour communications needs assessments and design, pre-test, and finalize drafts of SBCC/media materials in conjunction with NMEP and relevant partners
- Implement and monitor IEC/SBCC activities at the health facility and community level to ensure maximum local impact and education.
- Collaborate closely with the M&E Advisor to ensure the documentation of SBCC effects on target audiences by designing all messages to track specific, measurable behaviors.
- Identify complementary activities and align plans with the National Malaria Advocacy, Communication and Social Mobilization (ACSM) guidelines as well as with plans of other malaria projects.
- Monitor and report on all Nigeria Malaria Project SBCC activities.
- Respond to the specified deliverables and goals of contracts and grant agreements, ensuring achievements in a timely manner and in full support and compliance with FHI360 contractual agreement.
- Work with the Malaria Technical Director, collaborate and build capacity of Ministry of Health and private-sector counterparts to develop, implement, and monitor SBCC messaging and implementation.
- Contribute to work plans, budgets, pipelines, technical reports, and deliverables.
- Perform other duties as directed by the supervisor.
- Complete detailed strategy write-ups, work plans, and deliver quarterly reports and all other reporting requirements.
- Oversees the work of consultants and subcontractors, as required.
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Public Health; Communications and Media Arts; Marketing; or a relevant field.
- At least ten years of professional experience developing mass communication campaigns.
- At least ten years of experience working in public health sector.
- 5-7 years of experience in implementing and managing national health communication/SBCC programs in developing countries
Specific Knowledge Requirements
- Practical experience with the Nigeria health system and/or Media scene
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to multi-task and oversee a number of ongoing activities.
- Excellent communication and networking skills.
- Knowledge of state of the art social and behavior change communication models and strategies and their practical application to malaria as well as technical knowledge in these fields.
- Knowledge of evidence-based, innovative and practical solutions to communication and gender integration challenges in developing countries.
- Field experience in developing and implementing SBCC projects and programs in Asia and/or other regions that have demonstrated impact at scale.
- Understanding of widely accepted formative research, pretesting, and monitoring and evaluation methodologies for effective SBCC interventions.
- Demonstrated strong technical, programming and management skills.
- Proven ability to work as an effective team member.
- Excellent oral/written communication skills in English and one or more additional languages a plus.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and negotiation skills and experience working in collaboration with partners, donors and NGOs.
- Ability to set priorities while multi-tasking, and meet deadlines.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package. Please click here to visit FHI 360’s Career Center for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran with respect to policies, programs, or activities.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply