The Federal University Otuoke is one of the nine universities established by the Federal Government on February 1.1,2011, with a mandate to increase access to University education in all the States of the Country, promote quality tertiary education and have a focus on regional issues in education and research.
It is located in Otuoke, Ogbia Local Government Area in Bayelsa State.
The position of Vice-Chancellor of the Federal University Otuoke, Bayelsa State, will be vacant with effect from 17th February, 2016. In this regard, and in accordance with the Provisions of the Universities and the approval of the Council, the University wishes to commence the processes for the appointment of a Vice-Chancellor.
To this end, applications are hereby invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates for the post of:
Job Title: Vice-Chancellor
Location: Bayelsa State
The Vice-Chancellor is the Chief Executive and Academic Head of the University; and is also the Chairman of Senate, Congregation and member of the Governing Council. The Vice-Chancellor shall exercise general supervision over the activities of the University and have general responsibility to Council for the maintenance of law, order and peace in the University by ensuring that the Law, Statutes and Regulations of the University are enforced and observed.
The Vice-Chancellor shall among other duties:
- Give academic leadership by promoting academic excellence;
- Be competent at all times to advise the Council on all matters affecting the policy, finances and administration of the University;
- Regulate the admission of students, subject to the guidelines and procedure approved by the Senate and other statutory bodies;
- Be responsible for staff and student discipline and welfare in the University.
Applicants for the position of Vice-Chancellor, Federal University Otuoke, must be distinguished scholars with outstanding academic and administrative records and must be proven manager of human and material resources. Specifically, the candidate:
- Must be a full professor of normally, not less than ten (10) years standing with ability to provide dynamic academic and administrative leadership for the University and should have held sufficient academic and administrative positions to prepare the candidate for the position of Vice-Chancellor;
- Be able to uplift the academic stature of the University;
- Should have a good understanding of the vision and mission of the University;
- Should be able to attract research grants and complementary funds from local and international agencies, for the development of the University;
- Should be able to exhibit entrepreneurial drive and ability to attract extra-statutory funds and mobilize other resources for the development of the University;
- Should have excellent written and spoken communication skills;
- Should be in a position to ensure the enforcement of the University Law and Regulations;
- Should be information and Communication Technology (ICT) proficient and he committed to the development of ICT into the University programmes and services;
- Must be of excellent physical and mental health and of unassailable integrity;
- Must not be more than 65 years of age by February, 2016, when the position is scheduled to be occupied.
- Should possess personal integrity in the management of funds and be able to deploy financial resources as appropriate in the context of Strategic Plan of the University;
- Must demonstrate inter-personal and team building skills and possess the ability to build bridges between staff, students, and other members of the university community and stake-holders;
- Should have a demonstrable ability to establish and maintain partnerships with local, national, international, governmental and non- governmental agencies and organizations;
- Should be an individual who, judging from his/her track records, is likely to earn the respect as well as the loyalty of members of staff, students and the University Community;
- Should be able to demonstrate ability to attract, motivate, andretainhighly skilled and talented staff in all categories of staff (teaching and non-teaching);
- The Vice-Chancellor shall hold the office for a single term of five (5) years.
Eligibility for Interview
- Only candidates whose applications are short-listed will be invited for interview.
The remuneration and condition of service for the post of Vice-Chancellor are as applicable in all Federal Universities and as determined by the Federal Government of the Country.
Method of Application
Interested candidates are required to submit thirty copies (30) of their application letters and curriculum vitae in an envelope addressed to:
Federal University Otuoke,
The applications must include academic and professional qualifications, Birth Certificate or Statutory Declaration of Age, list of publications, verifiable evidence of work experience and curriculum vitae that includes the following among other information:
- Full Name (Surname, First Name, Middle Name)
- Post Applied for
- Place and State of Birth
- State of Origin
- Permanent Home Address
- Correspondence Address (if different from permanent home address)
- Mobile Phone Number
- E-mail Address
- Marital Status
- Number and Ages of Children (if any)
- Educational Institutions Attended with Dates
- Academic Qualifications Obtained with Dates
- Professional Qualifications Obtained with Dates
- Work Experience Including Full Details of Former and Present Posts
- Community Service(s) Rendered (including dates and locations)
- Full Details of Teaching Experience
- List of Publications and Dates where Applicable
- Extra-Curricular Activities
- Names and Addresses of Three Referees One of whom must be from the last or Current Place of Employment.
Candidates should request their referees to send under confidential cover their independent reports to the Registrar with full details of the applicant and the post applied for, not later than the closing date of this advertisement. The reference letters should be marked CONFIDENTIAL on the right hand corner of the envelope.
NOTE: The post applied for must be clearly written at the top right hand corner of the envelope. A one-page of candidate’s vision statement for the University during his/her tenure if appointed should be attached to the application.
Application Deadline 18th November, 2015