Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) is the pioneer and leader of the petroleum industry in Nigeria. We invest heavily in our employees, which is reflected in our industry-leading development programme and our commitment to see our employees’ ideas travel and come to fruition. Our commitment and your drive will meet and help unlock your own potential and push forward Shell’s continuous innovation. We look for ways to reduce the environmental impact of our operations: our global pool of experts and the fact that our employees can tap into that diverse pool of expertise will help our commitment to supply Nigeria and beyond with our oil products. The company’s operations are concentrated in the Niger Delta and adjoining shallow offshore areas where it operates in an oil mining lease area of around 30,000 square kilometres.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: CEO, All On
Auto req ID: 26252BR
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
- Given its active, long-term presence in the region, Shell sees an opportunity to catalyse market-based energy solutions that are attractive, affordable and sustainable for small businesses and households in Nigeria, through the establishment of an independent, non-profit social enterprise.
- This role is (an all-round role) an all-encompassing Chief Executive Office, which will require that the holder be the driving force and the public face of the new entity in the market; taking investment and partnership opportunities from scouting and delivery to implementation, monitoring and exit.
- Given the partner-driven approach, the CEO is to drive partnership development for the entity, managing the brand of the organisation as well as overseeing investments to deliver increased access to energy in the target geographies and communities.
- The social enterprise’s goal is to improve access to energy for Nigerian households and SMEs, with a focus on delivering quality and meaningful access in the Niger Delta.
- The new enterprise will do so by catalysing innovative and sustainable solutions to address the A2E challenge in unserved and underserved areas in Nigeria through a platform and partner-driven approach.
- Refine business plan and strategy for the entity.
- Ensure that all investments / partners audited in line with selection criteria and due diligence policies.
- Oversee investments and ensure compliance of investment decisions in line with business plan, entity objectives, and regulations.
- Develop investment portfolio and conduct due diligence of the business case(s).
- Make investments, obtaining investment committee and/or board approval as needed.
- Seek and broker partnerships for funding for entity, advocacy activities, and collaboration, e.g., technical expertise, etc.
- Maintain relationships with partner companies.
- Improve the entity’s brand to increase partnering opportunities, e.g., through speaking roles, coordinating events, delivering high-quality research products, and develop a collaboration platform.
Management / Risk:
- Oversee running of entity’s daily operations – ensure it is cost-efficient, profitably and efficiently run.
- Drive and maintain strong HSE performance, ABC standards in entity and, where required, investee ventures.
- Take primary responsibility for managing entity’s corporate governance framework.
- Maintain accurate accounting records and provide reliable and relevant Fund information to Board / other stakeholders.
- Ensure delivery against set targets / KPIs.
- Manage professional development and review process for all team members.
- Manage internal stakeholders during the investment cycle, i.e., Board of Directors, Shell partner functions.
- Executive presence required vis-a-vis entrepreneurs, CEO’s, co-investors and partner companies.
Personal integrity and transparency and building trust.. (Authenticity):
- Build and leverage internal networks to develop opportunities and create an environment for deal development and alignment with stated strategy. Creativity. (Growth)
- Develop deep, trust-based relationships with stakeholders and support successful influencing even without formal authority. (Collaboration)
- Taking personal accountability, empowering yourself and others and delivery of results, delivery focused. (Performance)
- The success criteria are:
- Value Creation and Protection
- Deal Stakeholder and Counterparty Management
- Negotiation Planning and Execution
Commercial (deal-making) experience:
- Significant experience leading commercial negotiations and stewarding complex deals to successful completion;
- Demonstrated ability to review commercial and / or investment proposals, assess business case, make final decisions, and provide strategic guidance to commercial teams;
- Preferably, experience working with social entrepreneurs or delivering social impact-focused projects
Leadership and management experience:
- Prior experience in C-level management roles at leading corporate, investment fund and / or non-profit organizations;
- Ability to lead organizations in both large corporate and lean “start-up” structures;
- Experience in leading social impact agenda in management and / or board capacity
Knowledge of the Nigerian operating environment:
- Deep understanding of the Nigerian operating environment, demonstrated by 10+ years of experience in country, e.g., to extent that helps to build networks;
- Ideally, but not necessarily, Nigerian by nationality
- Negotiating: Mastery
- Engaging and Influencing: Mastery
- External Relationships: Mastery
- Internal Relationships: Mastery
- Effective Messaging: Mastery
Energy sector knowledge and understanding:
- Prior experience focused on energy sector and understanding of alternative energy solutions and models, e.g., solar home systems, mini-grids;
- Deep technical knowledge or background not required, but must be able to assess A2E projects and ask the right questions
Strong Networks and Relationships Management Skills:
- Demonstrated ability to develop relationships at highest levels of public and private sectors;
- Relevant existing networks and relationships across Nigeria, Africa, and globally, e.g., potentially through past experience running an A2E firm in Africa;
- Demonstrated ability to serve as high profile figurehead at prior organization(s) and tactfully engage internally and external stakeholders
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 8th June, 2016.