We coordinate and unify the petroleum policies of its Member Countries and ensure the stabilization of oil markets in order to secure an efficient, economic and regular supply of petroleum to consumers, a steady income to producers and a fair return on capital for those investing in the petroleum industry.
Applications are hereby invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates to fill the Environmental Coordinator Job Opening at Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC)
Job Position: Environmental Coordinator
Job Code: 6.1.01
- Within the Reseach Division of the Secretariat, the Environmental Unit’s objectives are to analyse, report and advise on developments pertaining to the international debate on climate change and contribute to the close coordination of Member Countries’ positions on environmental matters.
- This entails: monitoring and analysing international debate and development on climate change, sustainable development and trade; gathering and analysing data and information in these fields; contributing to coordination among Member Countries and participating in relevant multilateral fora and discussions; and building up OPEC’s networks with national, regional and multilateral organizations.
Objective of Position
- The Environmental Coordinator is to coordinate the activities of the Unit to fulfill its objectives.
- Under the supervision of the Director, Research Division, he/she is to study and analyse national and multilateral environmental policies and assess their impact on energy developments, in particular on the medium- to long-term oil outlook and on OPEC, study and analyse developments in the global and multilateral debate on climate change, evaluate the impact on OPEC and contribute to the coordination of OPEC Member Countries’ positions in international fora on issues pertaining to environment in general and to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) negotiations in particular.
- Coordinates the activities of the Unit in line with its objectives;
- Conducts studies relevant to the subject of environment as it affects the energy sector in general and oil in particular;
- Contributes to the coordination of Member Countries’ positions concerning environmental issues;
- Contributes to speeches, articles and presentations to internal meetings and various international forums.
- Studies and analyses developments in the international debate on environmental issues related to the energy industry and in particular the activities related to the UNFCCC and its subsidiary bodies and the Kyoto Protocol;
- Responsible for preparing for and attending UNFCCC meetings and reporting on these;
- Assesses the impact of changes in environmental policies in consuming countries on the medium- and long-term development of the world petroleum industry;
Required Competencies and Qualifications
- University degree in Environmental Science or Economics, Engineering or other Sciences, preferably with specialization in environment;
- Advanced degree preferred.
- University degree: 10 years
- Advanced university degree: 8 years
- Environmental policies
- Analysis of environmental issues related to energy
- International debate on environment
- Modelling techniques
- Managerial & leadership skills
- Communication skills
- Customer service orientation
- Team-building skills
- Decision making skills
- Analytical skills
- Presentation skills
- Interpersonal skills
Status and Benefits
- Members of the Secretariat are international employees whose responsibilities are not national but exclusively international.
- In carrying out their functions they have to demonstrate the personal qualities expected of international employees such as integrity, independence and impartiality.
- The post is at grade D reporting to the Director of Research Division. The compensation package, including expatriate benefits, is commensurate with the level of the post.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should fill in a resume and an application form which can be received from their Country’s Governor for OPEC below:
Mr. Taiye Hassan Haruna,
Governor for OPEC,
Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources,
6th floor, NNPC Towers, Block D,
Central Business District,
- In order for applications to be considered, they must reach the OPEC Secretariat through the relevant Governor.
- Applicants must be nationals of Member Countries of OPEC and should not be older than 58 years.
Application Closing Date
25th of September, 2015.