Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on women’s empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation. With the insurgency spilling over from the north east of Nigeria and causing displacement of over a million individual, Mercy Corps is addressing the rising humanitarian needs among displaced households and vulnerable host communities through program interventions in the Northeast. With current funding from OFDA, FFP, CERF and ECHO and ongoing opportunities from other donors, all Mercy Corps interventions in the Northeast are implemented with plans for scale-up.
We are looking for a suitable candidate to fill a very strategic position within Gender team in Kaduna. We are looking for a motivated individual, who is enthusiastic about the work we do and is looking to work within a dynamic team:
Job Title: Engine Program Officer
General Position Summary
- The Program Officer will support the implementation of activities that transition girls in school or in informal education into economic activities.
- This position will ensure ENGINE implementation is responsive to marginalized Nigerian girls, their communities, state and non-state secondary schools, and other skill-based centers.
Required Skills and Experience
- BA/S or equivalent in education, management, social sciences, international development or other relevant field.
- Experience with private-sector led initiatives and DFID strongly preferred.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English required, including report development, writing and editing. Hausa language skills preferred
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members.
- Experience working with ministries and government officials, Ministry of Education experience preferred.
- A minimum of 2-3 years of experience in education, gender- focused, skills building program.
- Experience managing large-scale secondary education or school to work and especially targeting marginalized girls or young women programs required. Prefer expertise in at least one of the following areas: accelerated learning programs, Islamic and/or community-based education targeting community acceptance of girl’s education, increasing economic assets through savings clubs and links to financial institutions. Experience using SMS for training or messaging preferred.
- Experience working in a multi-organizational team (international and national partners) is a plus.
The successful Program Officer will combine exceptional management skills and technical skills with a focus on innovative interventions to engage adolescent girls in informal education and skills building linked with private sector entrepreneurship and employment opportunities in a culturally and religiously conservative environment.
Method of Application
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: [email protected] , or Click here for more information
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position.
Application Deadline 28th September, 2015.