Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic institutions and stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 15 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
Job Title: Emergency Management Coordination Specialist
Creative Associates International, Inc. (Creative) is seeking the services of an Emergency Management Coordination Specialist for a nine-month short term technical assistance (STTA) position directly supporting the Government of Nigeria (GoN). President Muhammadu Buhari was elected in March of 2015 and immediately began to implement a plan to win the war in north-eastern Nigeria as well as provide for the return of the IDPs and refugees to lead to an eventual post-conflict reconstruction initiative. Central to this effort was the establishment of the Presidential Commission on North-Eastern Initiatives (PCNI), a coordinating body set up in the Vice President’s office which seeks to provide GoN leadership and oversight to the emergency and the reconstruction of areas affected by the conflict. The PCNI will provide coordination and support for other GoN entities such as the NEMA (Nigerian Emergency Management Agency), multi-lateral organizations such as the World Bank and the UN Agencies, as well as international humanitarian actors.
Reporting & Supervision: The Emergency Management Coordination Specialist will report to the Chief of Party of the Creative Nigeria program.
The Emergency Management Coordination Specialist will be co-located within the GoN’s PCNI and report to the PCNI, to be tasked with effective establishment of its systems, structures and coordinating mechanisms, in order to effectively lead the emergency response to the conflict in the north-east. Activities will include but not be limited to:
Support PCNI to operationalize the Framework;
Support implementation of the Framework at national and state level, including support to PCNI and/or NEMA/SEMA; and
Help develop recovery/reconstruction plans which retain a prioritization of humanitarian needs.
Provide specific expertise in governance, transition, reconstruction planning, service delivery, capacity building, and development as long term commitments;
Support the PCNI in the development and coordination of a Framework;
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Nigeria’s NEMA is modeled after the United State’s FEMA, therefore a successful candidate will have understanding of US Emergency Management protocols and systems.
- The candidate will be a self-starter, able to quickly identify priorities and utilize time and relationships to achieve operational success.
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) in Emergency Management, Planning, Disaster Response, or other related field.
- 10+ years of emergency management coordination and planning with a large entity responsible for oversight (UN agency, federal government, local government, international humanitarian agency, or other).
- Fluent in English.
- Demonstrated knowledge, expertise and understanding of US Federal or State disaster response planning and coordination mechanisms and systems.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Previous experience working in West Africa or Africa is desirable.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should Click Here to Apply