Education Development Center (EDC) is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. EDC designs, implements and evaluates programs to improve education, health, and economic opportunity worldwide. Collaborating with both public and private partners, we strive for a world where all people are empowered to live healthy, productive lives.
Position: English Reading and Standards Specialist – USAID/Nigeria’s Norther Education Initiative Plus
Regular – Full-Time – Abuja, Nigeria
The USAID/Nigeria’s Northern Education Initiative Plus project, being implemented by Creative Associates and EDC, works to improve the quality of and access to education in Nigeria’s Northern states. EDC has an opening for an English Reading and Standards Specialist in Abuja, Nigeria, to support a large literacy project operating in three states in Northern Nigeria (Sokoto, Bauchi, and a 3rd state to be determined). The position will report to the Senior Reading Specialist.
The English Reading and Standards Specialist is expected to: (1) communicate clearly, accurately, efficiently, and courteously; (2) develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, and funders; and (3) work collaboratively with colleagues to produce high-quality products in a timely manner, demonstrating leadership and initiative. The position requires adherence to EDC’s policies and procedures.
This position is based in Abuja, Nigeria, and will report to the Reading Specialist.
The English Reading and Standards Specialist will:
- Coordinate the development of English early literacy standards with government stakeholders and international STTA, ensuring alignment with Hausa standards and with overall literacy expectations for Nigeria
- Coordinate with staff in 3 state offices to ensure the fidelity and quality of English program implementation at the school level
- Coordinate with the M&E team to develop knowledge-sharing efforts related to English early literacy, including communication briefs and presentations on achievements and lessons learned
- Coordinate with EDC’s project director and home office technical team to share lessons learned, problem-solve, and ensure that work in the field meets the highest standards of quality and is consistent with the state of the art in early grade literacy
- Provide leadership for the development and/or adaptation of English-language curricula and instructional materials, in coordination with the ICT and materials development specialist
- Develop, implement, and support teacher, school leader, and local government authority staff training in English early literacy methods and materials, in coordination with the teacher training specialist
The English Reading and Standards Specialist:
- Effectively interacts with diverse staff, colleagues, and clients
- Supports innovation that benefits project activities
- Facilitates project teamwork and feedback exchanges
- Collaborates on troubleshooting complex problems, proposing initiatives and recommending or negotiating solutions
- Adapts readily and demonstrates flexibility and willingness to learn
- Seeks and incorporates feedback
- Coordinates quality assurance
This position requires educational achievement; excellent writing skills; demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to effectively work independently as well as in groups; and strong interpersonal and organizational skills. Specific requirements:
- Master’s degree and 5+ years of related experience in standards development, teacher training, and materials development in early grade reading and writing in English
- Travel to project states required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Proficiency in Hausa is a plus
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Prior experience with USAID-funded projects preferred
- Experience working with complex projects and collaborating with professional peers on joint products
- Experience working with Nigerian government counterparts (at national, state, and LGEA levels) to design, implement, support, and monitor education programming
How to Apply
Interested qualified candidates are requested to submit their resumes to [email protected] with “English Reading and Standard Specialist” in the subject line of the email. Only candidates who are being invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace. EDC offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and an excellent benefits package.