Malaria No More is determined to end deaths from malaria, a disease that kills a child every 60 seconds.
We’re helping the world get it done by engaging global public and private sector leaders, developing innovative new approaches and delivering life-saving tools and education to families across Africa. Founded in 2006 by business leaders Ray Chambers and Peter Chernin, Malaria No More is working to create a world in which no one dies from a mosquito bite.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Director of African Advocacy and Program
Reports to: Managing Director, Global Policy and Advocacy
- Malaria No More is seeking an experienced Director of African Advocacy and Programs to oversee our work in Africa.
- Aligned with the organization’s core mission and focus internationally, Malaria No More is working to increase political will and domestic funding to help eliminate malaria on the continent by 2040.
- Malaria No More’s approach is multisectoral, prioritizing sophisticated country-level and regional political, diplomatic, and private sector engagement, press strategies, partnerships with leading media outlets and spokespeople, coordinated with regional and local health partners to fill gaps and reinforce political will to end malaria.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Evolve MNM’s advocacy strategy in Africa to drive increased domestic and regional funding for malaria, with particular emphasis on focus countries (Nigeria, Cameroon, and Kenya at present, and begin to develop strategy for expansion to new geographies on the continent)
- Manage an African advocacy team, as well as country-focused teams in 3-4 countries who are conducting media, advocacy, program implementation, and technical assistance
- Coordinate with US and international advocacy teams (including MNM affiliates in the UK and Japan) to leverage and unlock mutually-reinforcing opportunities
- Cultivate strong relationships and partnerships with senior government officials, as well as advocacy and health partners (including the Global Fund, African Leaders Malaria Alliance, U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative, and Clinton Health Access Initiative)
- Oversee current private sector partnerships to finance core programming and leverage new investments and partnerships for advocacy
- Minimum BS/BA degree; advanced degree in a related field preferred; 6+ years experience in a management and strategy role in Africa (may include business, politics/ government or any other relevant industry)
- Willingness to be a true self-starter and a proven innovator
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment managing several projects simultaneously, across multiple regions
- Excellent computer skills required, including Word, Excel, Outlook and Powerpoint.
- Superior oral and written communications skills in English and French required
- Ideally, this position will be based in Nigeria, but could also be based in Kenya, Tanzania, or other major African country.
- Track record of success in managing a fast-paced, multi-faced project that requires high levels of collaboration with partners
- High capacity for relationship management, and a strong existing network among relevant sectors
- Demonstrated interest and experience working in health, development, politics/ government or any other related fields
- Strong analytic skills, critical thinking and writing skills
- Hard-working and energetic collaborator who creates trust, demonstrates credibility and inspires enthusiasm in all internal and external contacts
- Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should their resume/CV and cover letters to: firstname.lastname@example.org line “Director of African Advocacy and Programs”