Andela is developing a corps of high-quality technology talent across the African continent that will drive the current and future phases of tech-enabled growth around the world. With the fastest growing population and highest youth population in the world, we believe Africa is one of the greatest untapped markets for talent development.
At Andela, we find the brightest young people in Africa, train them to be world-class developers, and connect them with employers around the world looking for top technical talent. Passion, excellence, entrepreneurial spirit, and rejecting the status quo are just a few of the things that Andela team members have in common.
We have a vision to train 100,000 world-class developers in the next 10 years – and we want you to make it happen
Applications are hereby invited from interested and suitably qualified candidates for the Deputy Country Director Job Vacancy at Andela.
Deputy Country Director
About the Deputy Country Director
Andela is hiring a Deputy Country Director, a seasoned professional who is passionate about building the next generation of technology leaders in Africa.
You are someone who believes we can do something to unlock this talent – and you know that if we can, we must. You bring more than passion to the role: you are a world-class manager with exceptional operational expertise and demonstrated strong leadership skills. You’re an expert in building and managing complex operations and developing the processes necessary for scale.
You are eager for the challenge of molding and shaping an exceptional set of individuals and programs into an integrated, world-class institution for technology training. You know how to think – and act – big, while holding a strong moral compass in everything you do.
The key attributes for this role are:
- Operational Excellence. Whether in building your own company or previous experience working in operations at a company, you demonstrated expertise in designing and managing processes for scale, managing budgets, and building lasting systems for strong personnel management. Specifically, you will support talent growth, ensure high staff and fellow retention rates, plan and manage the budget, and help scale the operations across your country.
- Demonstrated ability to build and scale organizations or initiatives. Andela is at a critical point: We proved a concept in one location but we will need a strong operational leader to begin our expansion into other countries. You are entrepreneurial and creative, eager to find ways to develop talent, build a team, and set up a business for scale. You have strong business skills and will be comfortable managing a multi-million dollar budget and engaging multiple global partners who are core to the success of Andela. You have a natural ability to work across borders to connect with our global team to help scale our training and talent around the world.
- Team building and cross-cultural skills. You should have significant experience leading strong teams; and you should be an expert at working with diverse groups of learners.
- A deep commitment to our mission. We are looking for a leader with evidence of operational skills, curiosity, a quality mindset and a commitment to building things. You will have demonstrated an ability and interest in creating large-scale change. This could be seen through your involvement in building companies or non-profits and developing talent, whether in health care, education, politics, financial inclusion, or some other area that is meaningful to you.
Specific responsibilities include: Co-lead all operational elements of Andela’s flagship Center in Nigeria.
- Optimize and manage every aspect of the operations of Andela Nigeria.
- Managing all Nigeria’s real estate, both office and residential including oversight of safety and security of all locations
- Develop and maintain highly detailed budgets and timely financial projections
- Complete quarterly (or more) financial and operational reviews and reports for Andela-NYC
Build and maintain strong processes and systems across all Andela Nigeria locations.
- Maintain and create highly-structured, processes, systems and recommendations with a data-driven approach
- Maintain and create “playbooks,” detailed manuals that document all relevant parts of the Andela model operating from Lagos; continually update and improve manuals in preparation for training other teams
- Build systems and processes that successfully inform Andela-NYC team and other locations of all topline recurring indicators of success and that explain and troubleshoot any major outliers or obstacles to success
Support world-class tech training program by overseeing the well-being and pipeline of all Fellows through training and into employment.
- Keep recruitment and training on schedule
- Oversee process of transitioning trainees from two-week Boot Camps into longer training and eventually employment) including the integration of professional development and client-facing skills from (project management, business English, etc.)
- Oversee the integration of total employment packages to employees including health care, savings plans, residential options and more
- Work with international team to ensure tracking, transitions and timelines as employees move into full-time consultancies)
- Convey any challenges to full team including Andela leadership
Manage, coach and mentor a strong team.
- Share management responsibility for all staff in Nigeria including functional Directors, Lead Trainer, Assistant Trainers, and other support staff and consultants
- Provide structured evaluations of employee performance at least twice a year
- Support manpower planning and make recommendations for any needed roles in addition to existing team
Support and scope out expansion to other locations in your country and across Africa.
- Make recommendations to Andela leadership about future locations in your region
- Responsibility for leading new initiatives around Andela’s expansion particularly related to real estate
- Be part of a larger team to design and execute Andela’s growth strategy
Create a Best Place to Work at Andela Nigeria.
- Oversee overall engagement and wellbeing across Andela Nigeria
Qualifications & Characteristics Ideal candidates for this role will have:
- At least 5-10 years of post-undergraduate, full time work experience
- Experience managing operations, including detailed budgeting and reporting, in a complex environment
- Experience rapidly growing /scaling a project
- Experience of Real Estate Management in Nigeria and/or Employee Engagement
- Experience developing and managing a culture of continuous learning and improvement
- Experience managing and coordinating teams to deliver on a tight schedule
- Work and living experience in emerging markets
- Record of strong academic performance from a leading undergraduate and, if attended, graduate institution
- Experience of working across cultures
- Graduate degree in relevant field preferred
- Experience at start-ups a plus
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Method of Application
To apply for this position, visit Andela’s career page on Greenhouse.io