eHealth Africa’s mission is to build stronger health systems through the design & implementation of data-driven solutions that respond to local needs and provide underserved communities with tools to lead healthier lives.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Department Manager, Monitoring, Evaluation, and Research (MER)
Location: Kano, Nigeria,
Department: Monitoring, Evaluation, and Research (MER)
Type: Full Time
Min. Experience: Senior Manager/Supervisor
- The Department Manager, Monitoring, Evaluation, and Research (MER) provides scientific and strategic leadership for all research and monitoring & evaluation (M&E) activities within the Country.
- S/he oversees, supervises, and coordinates all aspects of eHA’s MER activities and operations with other programs, departments, and outside agencies.
- Develops and maintains the long-term MER vision and strategies through implementation and execution of projects and ensures support of the overall organizational goals.
- S/he is responsible for the development of research proposals, design of studies, leading data analysis and interpretation, reporting of study results, and implementation of M&E systems across the country portfolio of projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
- In conjunction with the Country Director develops and maintains the MER Strategic Plan. Determines and manages budgetary requirements and provides long-range planning for overall MER operations. Prepares, maintains and monitors the research budget. Prepares reports on department operations, activities, and expenditures.
- Directs monitoring, evaluation, and research planning efforts of eHA’s policies and procedures governing research programs as related to public health.
- Supports monitoring and evaluation activities of programs, providing technical assistance and guidance to ensure that monitoring and evaluation systems are fully integrated and properly used by program and project managers. Provides direct technical support and manages development for research software packages
- May frequently travel between company worksites.
- Presents a professional demeanor at all times. Approaches others in a tactful manner. Reacts well under pressure. Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Accepts responsibility for own actions. Follows through on commitments.
- Is consistently at work and on time.
- Participates in and promotes a positive, supportive, cooperative team environment.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings, training classes and supervision.
- Adheres to Policies and Procedures.
- Adheres to eHealth Africa Code of Conduct as well as ethical standards of the field.
- Works with project/program/department managers to collate and analyze data to serve as part of the internal quality assurance mechanism for project delivery.
- Develops research and learning products for internal and external dissemination including white papers, peer-reviewed publications, online content, etc. Supports other departments and programs with research dissemination needs including development of research posters and presentations, and review of manuscripts for publication.
- Leads new business development driving the MER department forward to enhance department/organization reputation. Contributes to the growth of the research practices in eHA by applying for grants and awards relevant to eHA MER strategy. Works with Grants & Contracts and Business Development to coordinate submission of proposals to various funding organizations.
- Attends and participates in professional associations, meetings, seminars, conferences and trainings to stay abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of monitoring, evaluation, and research. Works with the Communications Department to identify key conferences and workshops of strategic interest to eHA to showcase eHA-relevant projects.
- Ensures compliance with local laws and regulations, especially to coordinate ethical review of MER activities.
- Coordinates strategy to improve internal capacity for monitoring, evaluation, and research across all eHA staff including facilitating journal clubs, conducting staff trainings/workshops, and developing eLearning content.
- Develops and implements policies, procedures and strategies relevant to MER in relationship with other eHA departments and programs. Establishes appropriate research management structures, including respective roles and responsibilities. Manages partnerships with external researchers and research institutions in collaboration with the Business Development program.
- Oversees the planning of monitoring, evaluation, and research activities between Department/Divisions within eHA, and external government and community organizations. Supervises and provides direction to eHA’s research team in the performance of conducting critical research projects.
- Performs any other task assigned by Management
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Supervises all Department staff.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to successfully perform this job.
- Master’s Degree from college or university in Health Research, Statistics, Business, Economics, Project Management, Information Management, Public Health, Information Management, Public Health, or a related field. Significant and advanced Research Management experience may substitute for the Master’s degree.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, organizational skills and great attention to detail.
- Must possess the ability to organize, instruct and supervise staff while promoting group effort and achievement.
- Must have the ability to manage conflicts and resolve problems effectively.
- Action oriented and resilient in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven ability to foster a positive working environment.
- Ability to manage a complex and varied work load, work under pressure, and manage
- Significant travel to insecure environments.
- Five (5) years of experience with demonstrated results with coordinating research and/or program monitoring and evaluation, including writing evaluation reports and briefs, organizing dissemination events, and presenting findings. Extensive experience in health research, health impact assessments, asset and analysis. Minimum of 3 years of supervisory experience.
- Proven ability to lead and manage multi-disciplinary/diverse teams, as well as mentoring team members in a clinical research setting.
- Ability to motivate others, delegation, and timely/quality decision making.
Certifications and Licenses:
- A Project Management (PMI) certification is preferred
- First Aid and Health & Safety qualifications desirable.
- Advanced computer skills, including Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Proficiency working within specialized software utilized in program. Knowledge of data analysis software programs (e.g. STATA, SPSS, Epi info, R, etc.).
- English is the spoken and written language. Fluency in Hausa is desirable.
- Ability to read, analyze, proof and edit documents, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, or government regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, employees and the general public.
Math Ability/Reasoning Ability:
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situation
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online