Education Development Center (EDC) is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. EDC designs, implements and evaluates programs to improve education, health, and economic opportunity worldwide. Collaborating with both public and private partners, we strive for a world where all people are empowered to live healthy, productive lives.
Education Development Center (EDC) is recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Database Officer
- The USAID/Nigeria’s Northern Education Initiative Plus project, being implemented by Creative Associates and EDC, works to improve the quality of and access to education in Northern Nigeria.
- The Database Officer will assist in the design and development of a data collection and management system for project team.
- He/she will report to the M&E/Assessment Officer to ensure implementation is closely aligned with the overall project. This position is based in Sokoto, Nigeria.
- Supports project database development.
- Provides continuous maintenance of the database including regular scheduled back-ups, tests of data integrity, periodic recovery tests, etc.
- Ensures data cleanliness, quality and security.
- Ensures seamless integration between numerous systems in order to reduce unnecessary redundancies.
- Assists to produce regular reports according to the guidelines determined by project management.
- Assists to research hardware and operating system problems and determine proper solutions, arranging and coordinating for hardware and software repairs when necessary.
- Implements standard operating procedures for administering database.
- Works with Abuja Database Specialist and partners in numerous field locations throughout the country to ensure the database functionality meets their needs.
- Implements project-wide data processing protocols, including manuals and reference guides, for proper use of the project database and related functions.
- Works with project staff to find and implement technological solutions to data-related challenges.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience
- Candidates for this position must have at least 2 years of experience with complex databases, preferably with a USAID-funded education project. Experience in a multi-unit, geographically diverse organization strongly preferred.
- Candidates should have demonstrated experience administering and supporting relational databases (Microsoft SQL Server, SQL Cloud based), generating complex SQL queries (preferably using LINQ/Entity Framework), and have experience creating reports using reporting and business intelligence (bi) tools.
- must demonstrate knowledge of computer languages and systems (HTML, SQL, MVC .NET, C#, etc.).
- In addition, candidates should have experience with databases for monitoring program implementation and in data collection, processing and analysis systems.
- If possible, candidates should include the following examples of their previous work* including frameworks, technologies, languages and tools used for:
- Application development (a description, and/or screenshots)
- Entity Framework/LINQ experience (a description and/or script example)
- Reporting tools and reports designed (a description and/or report examples)
- Client / Helpdesk support experiences
- Complex databases design (a description, structure and/or ER diagram)
- Database Management (a description, management processes brief)
- SQL queries developed (a description and/or script example)
Important: Do not include confidential/proprietary information.
- Candidates must demonstrate the ability to balance work within a team environment while working with minimal supervision; strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills; good technical writing skills.
- Candidates must have the ability to travel regularly to Bauchi, Sokoto and other States in Northern Nigeria and to work effectively with diverse stakeholders.
- A high school diploma is required.
- A Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Computer Science, Information Systems/Technology, or other related field, is highly desired.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace. EDC offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and an excellent benefits package.
How to Apply
Interested qualified candidates are requested to submit their resumes to: [email protected] with “Sokoto Database Officer” or “Bauchi Database Officer” in the subject line of the email depending on preferred location.
Note: Only candidates who are being invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.