Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a Danish international non-governmental organisation, which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world. DRC is present in more than 30 conflict territories around the world assisting displaced people with shelter, food, income generating activities, legal aid and a wide range of other protection assistance.
DRC has been operating in the West Africa region for over 15 years, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) Guinea, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger, Nigeria and a Regional Office (RO) in Abidjan. DRC has 17 offices and more than 500 staff members across the WA region.
DRC started operating in Nigeria in 2014 where plans to run a combination of emergency, livelihood, WASH, protection and advocacy programmes has been set. DRC currently has offices in Abuja, Yola, Mubi and planning to run an office in Maiduguri, besides 30 staff members subject to increase in near future.
Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is looking for a highly qualified candidates for the position below:
Job Title: Emergency Programme Manager
Location: Yola, Nigeria
This position will be placed at level A11 and is not a family duty station.
About the job
- This is a dynamic position managing programming in a complex and rapidly changing context. The Emergency Programme Manager is responsible for the Emergency Response and Preparedness programs in Nigeria. S/he will report to the Country Director while ensuring close collaboration with the Programme Managers, Head of Bases/Offices, Head of Finance and Admin, Logistic manager, Security Advisor and relevant counterparts at the Regional Office in Abidjan.
- The candidate will travel within and outside of Nigeria for various internal and coordination meetings, trainings, workshops and other events.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide overall leadership for emergency preparedness and response programming in Nigeria including programmed development, budget planning and management, recruitment and staff capacity building.
- Ensure DRC’s active engagement with Federal, State and Local authorities and humanitarian actors in field of emergency preparedness and response.
- Ensure that Emergency Teams are updated and equipped with knowledges and skills on humanitarian principles, standards and all DRC policy and procedures
- Working together with other program managers, head of bases/offices, Head of Finance and Admin, Logistic Manager, Safety Advisor and relevant teams to carry out effective assessments and response
- Assist DRC Nigeria Country Director, Head of Office Abuja and others in resource mobilization. This includes working closely with Regional Programme Development and Quality Assurance Manager.
- In collaboration with Regional Programme Development and Quality Assurance Manager and other international and national team members, ensure meeting standards, compliances
- Ensure regular visits to the project sites in order to work directly with field team including Head of Bases/Office. This includes regularly pay monitoring visits and produce reports and share with others.
- Represent DRC in various coordination mechanism such as State Emergency Management Authority (SEMA), National Emergency Management Authority (NEMA), Emergency Manager’s Discussions organized by INGO Forum, Working Groups related to NFI, Shelter, WASH, etc.
- Responsible for ensuring quality progress reports are prepared on time.
- Lead training and capacity building activities to build emergency preparedness and response capacities within DRC Nigeria and partners.
- Work together with Head of Office Abuja, Country Director, Head of Finance and Admin in the development of quality project proposals for emergency preparedness and response
- In consultation with Country Director and others, plan and oversee rapid needs assessment and guide the team to assess and address specific needs
- Actively participate and contribute in internal programme review, strategy development, senior management team meetings and other events as necessary.
To be successful in this role you must have:
- University Degree in International Humanitarian Law, International Development, International Relationship, Social Science, Management or relevant field.
- Minimum 5 years working experience in similar job at international level
- Working experience in UN funded projects such as UNICEF, OCHA, UNHCR, WFP
- Willing to travel regularly to rural/remote project sites
- Willing to live in shared accommodation with basic living conditions
- Ability to work well in unstable security environments, and under significant administrative and programming pressures.
- Minimum 2 years’ experiences in the field of NFI, Shelter, WASH and demonstrated skills in planning and management of nonfood distribution
- Experience in humanitarian policy advocacy works in conflict affected countries
- Demonstrated skills in problem solving
- Innovative, flexible and high adaptability skills in hardship locations
- Minimum 2 years working experience with refugees, IDPs, returnees in complex conflict context
- Representation skills and excellent communication and reporting writing skills
- Fluency in English (written and spoken) is essential
- Working experiences with various donor funded projects especially ECHO, OFDA, DFID, FFP and other humanitarian donors
- Excellent analytical skills, commitment to gender equality/equity
- Demonstrated skills in application of humanitarian tools and standard in past works
- DRC will offer the successful applicant a 12 months contract with the possibility of extension. Envisaged start date is the end of March.
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates;
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 11th March, 2016.