Ipas is a nonprofit organization dedicated to ending preventable deaths and disabilities from unsafe abortions.
Through local, national and global partnerships, Ipas works to ensure women can obtain safe, respectful and comprehensive abortion care; including counseling and contraception to prevent unintended pregnancies.
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of:
Job Title: Country Director
Job ID: 2015-1524
- The Country Director provides leadership, oversight and strategic guidance for the Nigeria staff and program. Functions as a primary organizational representative for the Nigeria country office and ensures strong collaboration with local government, international and local funders and partners.
- Builds partnerships with government and other private and social sector organizations, at the national level, and advocates for policies and programs that maximize impact and resources to further women’s reproductive health and the Ipas mission.
- In addition, this position may represent the organization when advocating for Ipas’s missions and programs at regional events, donors meetings and partner NGO gatherings.
- Provides leadership and vision in development and implementation of Ipas’s initiatives and acts as a spoke-person of the organization.
- Assess opportunities and develops projects by obtaining inputs from other team members, Ipas programs, technical and operations unit colleagues.
- Builds partnerships with government and other private and social sector organizations, both at national and regional level, and advocates for policies and programs that maximize impact and resources to further women’s reproductive health and the Ipas mission.
- Builds awareness of the organization and promotes communication of issues and accomplishments to the public.
- Accountable for the Ipas Nigeria country office’s alignment to Ipas’s standards for work environment, workplace culture, ethics, safety, and overall employee morale.
- Identifies and evaluates risk to the organization’s staff, property, finances, goodwill and image, and works with the appropriate colleagues in the operations and programs units to implement measures to manage and reduce risk.
- Provides leadership in organizational fund raising efforts through identification and pursuit of funding opportunities for Ipas Nigeria in line with Ipas Vision, Mission and Strategic Objectives.
- Represents Ipas with donors at the regional and/or country level and oversees and coordinates the resource mobilization strategy.
- Represents Ipas and advocates for women’s reproductive health and rights at national, regional and international conferences and events.
- Ensure the implementation and delivery of the Ipas Nigeria portfolio of projects by leading the in country team(s), working with Ipas programs, technical and operations unit colleagues and other parties as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master’s Degree or higher (or an International Equivalent) in Public Health or a Related Field.
- Certification in project management. Qualification in Humanitarian action and/or Project Cycle Management and/or Monitoring & Evaluation.
- Ability to travel up to 30% locally and periodic international trips
- Minimum 10 years with project/portfolio/country management experience and previous experience as a Country Manager or Director or equivalent role in scope and responsibility for an international NGO.
- Must be familiar with and committed to women’s sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- Familiar with government health system, policy, strategy, and guidelines related to reproductive health
- Comprehensive knowledge of theories, concepts, and practices in project management, process development and program execution.
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills to strategize, plan, and manage resources for successful completion of projects.
- Ability to motivate, influence and collaborate with others.
- Ability to build positive working relationships with district/state/national government officials, UN and other multilateral bodies and donor representatives.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English and fluent in host country language(s).
- Experience operating in challenging environments.
- Demonstrated experience in fundraising and maintaining relationships with donors.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully overseeing sector specific or multi-sector project management and implementation.
- Demonstrated strategic planning, staff development and capacity building experience.
- Established experience in leading and managing complex projects that are strategic in nature and national/international in scope.
- Proven public relations, fundraising, policy, representation, and diplomacy skills required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong consultative and negotiation skills.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online