Achieving food security for all is at the heart of FAO’s efforts – to make sure people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives.
Our three main goals are: the eradication of hunger, food insecurity and malnutrition; the elimination of poverty and the driving forward of economic and social progress for all; and, the sustainable management and utilization of natural resources, including land, water, air, climate and genetic resources for the benefit of present and future generations.
International consultant on project formulation sensitive to nutrition and food security, Abuja, Nigéria
Job Title: International consultant on project formulation sensitive to nutrition and food security
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF TASK(S) AND OBJECTIVES TO BE ACHIEVED
The implementation of the ECOWAP requires that emerging issues related to nutrition, food security and resilience of vulnerable populations are taken into account. Moreover, challenges related to agro-food processing, the change in diets and nutrition, the implementation of the ECOWAP becomes essential, especially in a context marked by increasing urbanization of the ECOWAS region. The integration of these emerging issues in the strategies, policies and projects implemented though the ECOWAP is not only the responsibility of public authorities. Views of other stakeholders need to be taken into account. Disseminated of experiences through a network of actors can also enhance achievement of ECOWAS major objectives of nutrition and food security. In order to support the ECOWAS Directorate of Agriculture and Rural Development in the implementation of the ECOWAP, FAO recruits an international consultant in the area of agricultural investment project formulation sensitive to nutrition and food security within the framework of the project «building Capacity of ECOWAS for the implementation of the ECOWAP’. This project is funded by the Spanish Agency for International Development Cooperation (AECID) and implemented by FAO.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will contribute to the achievement of project objectives including the formulation of agricultural investment projects sensitive to nutrition, food security and resilience to mobilize resources. In particular, he or she will be responsible for carrying out the following activities
- Identify and define the priorities required in nutrition and food security in the context of the implementation of the ECOWAP / CAADP interventions;
- Participate in the analysis of policies, strategies and institutional framework within which national and regional projects for Agricultural investments will set up and prepare recommendations, taking into account food security, nutrition and resilience in the implementation of the ECOWAP;
- Participate as a member of the multidisciplinary team in the design of detailed regional investment projects;
- Organize workshops for methodological discussion and analysis and review of investment projects formulated to solicit contributions from partners;
- Facilitate a network of knowledge sharing, best practices and sharing of experiences on food security and nutrition through the development and dissemination of briefings focused on food security, nutrition and resilience of vulnerable populations;
- Facilitate and lead the process of dialogue with countries including those who have requested support for the formulation of investment projects on food security and nutrition;
- Provide technical support and guidance to ECOWAS on issues related to food security, nutrition and resilience in the context of ECOWAP implementation;
- Organize seminars /workshops to strengthen the analytical capacities and methodological understanding of national experts from member countries of ECOWAS and those of West African Regional Organizations.
- Draft clear and concise terms for Consultants to assist in formulation of detailed investment plans for the operationalization of the Regional Agriculture Investment Programs;
- Perform any other activities related to the project objectives and the overall mission of the nutrition and food security expert in ECOWAS. The consultant will work under the direct supervision of the Coordinator of the project ‘Capacity building of ECOWAS for the implementation of the ECOWAP’ based in Lomé (Togo). S/He will work closely with the ECOWAS Director of Agriculture and Rural Development.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
- Seminars /workshops organized
- Draft clear and concise terms for Consultants
- Formulation of investment project documents on food security, nutrition and resilience
Required Completion Date: 2016
- University degree in nutrition, social sciences or other related discipline;
- Five (5) years minimum experience in the design, analysis and implementation of investment projects in the agricultural sector projects;
- Familiar with the regional processes on food security, nutrition and resilience (AGIR, SUN, Sahel Strategy, zero hunger, RPCA);
- Good ability to handle unexpected situations and adjust priorities accordingly;
- Sense of teamwork in a critical and constructive way;
- Perfect command of one of the two official languages of the United Nations (French and English) and be able to work comfortably in the other language
- Excellent knowledge of the agricultural projects and issues related to food and nutrition security and its impact on agriculture in West Africa;
- Familiar with institutional environment of West African regional organizations (ECOWAS, UEMOA, CILSS);
How to Apply
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should visit Click Here to Apply
Job Title: International consultant in adaptation of Agriculture to climate change