Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality.
CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on agriculture, HIV and health extractives and governance, and peace building programming.
CRS/Nigeria has been operating for over fifteen years. In this time the operation in the CP in Abuja, Nigeria has grown progressively to a current staff of 138. It is predicted that this growth will be sustained over the next couple of years. This growth will also affect the Administrative needs of the Country Program.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Procurement Officer
Location: Abuja Office
Reports To: Head of Administration
Supervises: Procurement Officer & Travel and Logistics Officer
- The Senior Procurement Officer will supervise and closely coordinate duties of the Logistics and Procurement officer 1.
- Supervise calls for bid, local purchase operations, and international procurement specifically for the Abuja country program offices.
- Coordinate with the various programming and administrative departments to ensure order of what they need in the appropriate quantities and quality, that they receive what they ordered in the correct quantities when needed and at the best cost.
- Develop procurement management systems as needed and train staff in their use.
- Advice Head of Administration to modify or overhaul procurement systems that are not efficient.
- Provide valid documentations to Admin Secretary for preparing disbursement request for items purchased; liaising with suppliers/vendors to follow up delivery timelines for items purchased by CRS etc.
- Create filing systems and manage the document trail in a transparent manner to avoid compliance shortfalls and audit findings.
- As a member of a support department, encourage and positively reinforce open and continuous coordination and collaboration with all departments within Organization, particularly with staff, to ensure that the Procurement Office provides goods and services of the highest quality in the most cost-effective and efficient manner.
- Review orders made by department managers and other parties to ensure budget availability, as well as quantity, quality and delivery requirements. Provide regular status reports on procurement to the departments.
- Develop efficient office supply requisition and ordering systems in collaboration with Admin Secretary.
- Develop relationships and maintain contact with local vendors.
- Oversee calls for bid and contracting with suppliers. Acquire prices and pro-forma invoices for all purchases.
- Provide training and coaching as necessary to staff with delegated Procurement responsibilities other and other emergency staff
- Design fully compliant procurement and asset management systems; review and revise existing country program systems to meet the needs of the emergency operation. Verify that all systems and operations comply with policies and procedures.
- Fully document all procurement operations. Create procurement filing systems as required in the Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Fully document all local purchasing activities.
- Analyze Requisitions, IRFs and purchase orders to determine:
- That the description of the goods and/or services is accurate in every aspect, and that they are of the expected quality for the cost;
- The method of pricing to be used (e.g., catalog, written or telephone inquiries, pro formas or other estimates);
- That all required support documentation is attached;
- That quantities are correct and expected delivery times are realistic;
- The choice of supplier, taking into consideration available facilities, vendor dependability, quality, reputation and geographic location;
- The total price CIF, including all payment terms;
- The best method of transporting the purchased item to final destination.
- Ensure that all requests for quotations are clear and complete.
- Review and approve IRFs. When required, request approval of senior managers or regional staff. Place rush orders by telephone or fax, and follow up with written (or e-mail) confirmations.
- Create procurement filing system as required under policies and procedures guidelines. Enter information into, and keep updated, purchasing and vendor databases.
- Create and maintain inventories for goods purchased during the emergency.
- Ensure that an adequate level of office and cleaning supplies is maintained and that rational distribution mechanisms are developed and implemented.
- In coordination with the Logistics Officer, contract local transport companies for the delivery of relief supplies.
Record Keeping and Reporting:
- Ensure proper filling of all procurement documents for record-keeping and auditing, and maintain orderly files on active orders and post activities such as change notices, scheduling changes and partial shipments.
- Document due diligence processes conducted by someone other than person performing procurement role – but do not be the person to prepare or conduct due diligent for new vendors
- Maintain an Approved Supplier List (ASL) with updated information on pricing by goods and services and performance ranking based on recent post-delivery evaluations.
- Creates vendor files with all necessary details by service category (e.g. stationery suppliers, electrical items suppliers, machine suppliers, etc.).
- Track the status of each procurement request and update management and requestors through regular Procurement Status Reports using procurement log sheet
- Periodically generate an evaluation report on supplier/vendor performance with recommendations based on service delivery/track record (at least every 6 months).
- Provide necessary procurement documents to the Admin Officer to enhance proper and timely inventory count.
Hotel & Accommodation:
- Coordinate all hotel arrangements with Travel and Logistics officer as requested and ensure that the bills are settled promptly after the completion of the activity.
- Provide oversight for all accommodation bookings in sub offices
- Research available hotel options in states where CRS has project and share findings with the Head of Administration.
- Follow up on the payments for the hotels in sub offices and ensure that the payment terms are adhered to for the services rendered.
Communication, Coordination and other Duties:
- Ensure personnel designated to receive (admin. or logistics) have as much advance notice as possible of expected delivery of goods and to be ready to prepare fully the Goods Received Note (GRN).
- Provides details of fixed assets procurements (type, quantity, supplier, price, fund/project #, name of partner, etc.) to the personnel responsible for property management.
- Following segregation of duty recommendations, work with staff person(s) assigned in admin. or logistics for receiving to resolve any quantity discrepancies between PO and supplier’s delivery note/waybill.
- As needed and always respecting segregation of duties recommendations, communicate with suppliers to return any damaged goods or mis-ordered goods to suppliers, and ensure substitution or completion of goods ordered if still applicable.
- Ensure vigilance against fraudulent activities in all procurement processes and keep up to date with latest guidance for fraud prevention.
- Assist in advancing the use of new technologies and applications to improve procurement process efficiencies.
- As needed and always respecting segregation of duties recommendations, coordinate with the administration or logistics staff personnel assigned to receive procured goods whenever there is a problem encountered with completing their established functions correctly and in a timely manner, as established in the CRS Procurement Manual: 1) verify that the goods and invoices received meet the quantity, price and specifications on the Purchase Order/Contract document; 2) complete a Goods Receiving Note (GRN) for all goods received; 3) inform the requesting personnel and the PO that their goods have been received; 4) enter the goods into inventory, and storage if needed; and 5) submit the GRN and the supplier invoice to the designated non procurement personnel responsible for conducting 3-way matching (invoice, PO, GRN) and payment request processing.
- Contribute to maintaining teamwork, discipline sound work relationships and productivity.
- Provides support and training on procurement management to CRS staff and partners as found necessary by management.
- Provide coverage for other staff when required by workload or absence, and perform additional duties as assigned.
- As needed and always respecting segregation of duties recommendations, coordinate with non-procurement personnel assigned to carry out 3-way matching (invoice, PO, GRN) and payment request processing whenever there is a problem encountered with completing their established functions correctly and in a timely manner, as established in the CRS Procurement Manual to make sure that these tasks are completed correctly and in a timely manner.
- Assist in the preparation of award letters, agreements, memos and letters as needed
- Responds to audit queries in a timely and professional manner when necessary.
- Collects information on price of goods and services whenever needed for budgeting or planning purpose.
- When necessary and within acceptable parameters expedite requisitions and orders to meet urgent operational needs.
- Will directly oversee the work of Procurement Officer 1 and the Travel & Logistics officer.
Key Working Relationships
- Internal: HQ Global Procurement Team, Head of Operations, Head of Administration, Procurement officer 1, Travel and Logistics officer and all relevant CP staff making requisitions or with process roles from: Programming, Finance, Logistics, HR and IT.
- External: Supplier, revenue authorities, customs officials, freight forwarders, transporters, consultants, donors, and peer agencies.
Agency Wide Competences
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results:
- Serves with Integrity
- Models Stewardship
- Cultivates Constructive Relationships
- Promotes Learning
- Must be scrupulously honest and always foster an atmosphere of trust and integrity.
- Good computers and ICT skills, fully capable with Microsoft Office (MS Word, Excel and PPT), and experience conducting internet sourcing and price comparisons.
- Good data analysis skills.
- Committed to always providing highest possible customer service.
- Good organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and relationship builder.
- When necessary be able to relay ideas and concepts to partners in an accessible manner.
- Demonstrated ability to perform fast, efficient and cost effective procurement service while maintaining the agency’s high standards.
- Good negotiator.
- Experience conducting market research.
- Minimum of a first degree in Social Sciences or Arts related field or Higher National Diploma in management. Master degree will be an added advantage.
- Must have a proven knowledge of contract management
- Proven ability to prepare reports and maintain complete files and records.
- At least 5 years of relevant working experience is required.
- Membership in a professional purchasing organization preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely in written and spoken English
Statement of Commitment to Protection
‘CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploration.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should download the Application Form below and send with a detailed 3 page Resume in a one word document to: [email protected]
Note: Application sent in the required format will be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Application Deadline 18th February, 2016.