ONE is a global campaign and advocacy organization co-founded by Bono and backed by nearly seven million people from around the world and every walk of life that are committed to the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa. We hold world leaders to account for the promises made to the poorest, and we press them to support better policies and more effective aid and trade reform. We also work with leaders in Africa to support greater democracy, accountability and transparency so these resources can be effectively deployed.
ONE has offices in Berlin, Brussels, Johannesburg, London, New York City, Paris and Washington DC.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
The Nigeria Director leads ONE’s “inside” advocacy strategy in Nigeria targeting high level government officials and policy makers in Nigeria. With ONE expanding and deepening its Africa presence through developing a Nigeria country program, this is a critical period for building strong, consistent and trusted relations with the Buhari administration.
The Nigeria Director will work closely with the Africa Executive Director, executive management and other senior staff across the organisation to devise, implement and manage a highly effective Nigeria lobbying and government relations strategy delivering concrete policy and budget changes in Nigeria. This role will supervise and collaborate with the Nigeria Policy and Advocacy Director and the Africa team to ensure effectiveness of media and campaigns interventions in Nigeria. This role will also provide strategic direction to all elements of ONEs intervention in Nigeria in consultation with the Africa Director.
The ideal candidate will possess extensive experience of high level lobbying and relationship management, with an excellent knowledge of Nigeria politics and decision making in the Buhari government. S/he will be a flexible and enthusiastic team player with exceptional interpersonal and management skills and excellent media instincts. Knowledge of international development and Africa is also essential.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- § Lead on the development and implementation of ONE’s government relations and ONEs inside lobbying strategy in Nigeria
- § Develop and maintain relationships with senior advisors, officials and decision-makers in the Nigerian government and opposition parties
- § Lead on ONE’s relationships with Aso Rock, the vice presidency, the budget and Finance ministries and other relevant government departments
- § Maintain close links with other development lobbyists in Nigeria – including campaigners and political advisors working in think tanks, NGOs, trade unions, faith communities and political parties and the private sector – and ensure their activities shape and inform ONE’s political strategy
- § Act as Chief Advisor to politics and political processes in Nigeria
- § Lead the drafting and review of Nigeria political and policy analysis
- § In year 1 help ensure the effective implementation of the Nigerian Health Act, amongst other policies
- § Oversee and participate in the preparation of briefings for ONE’s high profile advocates in their interactions with Nigeria senior government and political figures, representing ONE at such meetings and events as required
- § Work closely with policy and advocacy leads based in Dakar and Addis and other African locations.
- § Work closely with relevant teams to secure effective and impactful Nigeria campaigns and media content
- § Secure access for ONE to high level strategic meetings and conferences, attending these meetings as required.
- § Supervise the work of junior staff, interns or consultants as appropriate
- § Any other duties as required
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- § Extensive experience of designing and implementing successful lobbying strategies which achieve policy change in Nigeria
- § Extensive experience of high level government, development organizations and other political and community stakeholders relationship management and experience of representing organisations in meeting or external engagements with high level officials.
- § Significant high level political contacts in the Nigeria
- § Proven political judgment and demonstrable understanding of the links between lobbying, popular campaigning and media
- § Effective policy and political analyses experiences
- § Excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to draft fluent, persuasive and insightful material
- § The ability to work effectively and sensitively with the Nigeria Policy and Advocacy Director and a wide range of actors and influencers in Nigeria and patience of overseeing the developing and management of projects
- § Proven ability to supervise and work effectively in a team environment and strong interpersonal skills
- § Flexibility to respond to a fast-changing political landscape with shifting deadlines
- § Experience of managing staff and external contractors.
- § Excellent judgment and sensitivity; experience of working in a global or culturally diverse setting
- § Understanding of and respect for ONE’s nonpartisan approach
- § Organised, with proven ability to juggle multiple projects at once
- § A strong understanding of development issues affecting Africa and a strong commitment to ONE’s policy priorities is desirable.
If you are ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease, please submit an application, resume, and a cover letter (explaining why you are the best person for the job) on our jobs page by April 16th, 2016.
Candidates that apply after the deadline will be considered on a rolling basis. Candidates that do not provide cover letters will not be considered. We thank all candidates for their interest; however we are only able to contact those who we decide to interview. No phone calls please.
Only candidates authorized to work in Nigeria without any restrictions need apply.