VSO is the world’s leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries.
Our high-impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Small Business Advisor
Location: Niger State
Duration: 18 Months
- Strengthen the capacity of farmers’ groups, enterprises and partner organisation on improving access to finance, markets and processing avenues, strengthening farmers capacities on market development and preparing business plans.
- To support the youth and farmers groups to understand finance and how to access finance and financial services
- To prepare the follow up the groups activity and business plan and review
- To support the group to do the linkage with the relevant government line department
- Due to the nature of our volunteer placements, it is possible that the responsibilities of this role may differ in reality and therefore the post holder will need to be prepared to be flexible and adapt to their environment as necessary.
- To support to prepare business plan and identify market actors
- To capacitate and support farmers groups and enterprises on financial literacy, distinguishing between income and profit
- To build the knowledge of the farmers groups on banking procedures including loan applications
Key Performance Indicators
The Key performance indicators of this placement are that:
- Target beneficiaries are able to sustain their livelihoods and the livelihoods of their families.
- This includes managing their own businesses, supply their produce to the markets and are always able to meet the market demands by having adequate produce for identified markets.
Below includes other indicators:
- Improvements made in the operations of farmers collective or business operation
- Objectives will be confirmed in a three way discussion between the volunteer, employer and VSO in the first three months of the placement.
- Problems identified, addressed and solutions recommended
- Quality of reports developed for business owners detailing solutions (training programs, employee handbook, reporting systems )
Building and Sustaining working relationships:
- The social skills to build and actively maintain working relationships that foster teamwork and collaboration with others for the benefit of a common goal.
Open Minded and Respectful:
- A non-judgemental approach that values other people and culture.
Seeking and Sharing Knowledge:
- Recognition that learning is a two-way and continuous process.
Facilitating Positive Change:
- The ability to analyse problems and develop lasting solutions in line with VSO approaches.
- A flexible approach and the ability to adapt behaviour to different situations.
- The self-confidence to work with a variety of situations, diverse people and ambiguity.
Skills and Knowledge
- A university degree in Business Administration or business management.
- A degree in Accounting, Marketing, Human resources, Information technology
- Strategic planning skills
- Ability to think innovatively and analytically
- Sound computer skills
- Report writing and documentation
- Work experience in business management or related fields preferably for an agri-business and/or market based project
- Basic understanding of business operations and various areas of business
- Experience in value chain development and application of innovative financial mechanisms
- Skills in training and facilitation
- Ability to speak Hausa
- Previous work experience in West Africa would be an added advantage
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Deadline 30th October, 2015.
Interview/Assessment Date(s) TBC
Start Date 15th June, 2015