The British Council is the world’s leading cultural relations organization and creates opportunities for people in the UK and worldwide to understand each other, to work together and learn from one another. We see this as crucial to building secure, more prosperous and sustainable futures for us all. We build trust and understanding between different countries and cultures and develop strong international links that are of benefit to people in Britain and the rest of the world.
British Council is calling for individuals who would like to offer their help as a volunteer for the Open House Lagos event.
We seek suitably qualified candidate to fill the position below:
Job Title: Call for Volunteer – Open House Lagos
What is Open House Lagos?
Open House Lagos is a 3 day event to showcase the outstanding architecture of Lagos for all to experience, completely for free. The event invites everyone to understand the value of a well-designed built environment by exploring Lagos, celebrating its architectural growth and the way people interact with their environment. The event will offer residents, local and international visitors an enriched cultural experience by providing an opportunity to access buildings not normally open to the public.
How can I help as a Volunteer?
- As a volunteer, you will be providing assistance to building representatives/owners participating in the event, to open their buildings to the public.
- The assistance of volunteers is vital to make the Open House Lagos Event happen and is greatly appreciated.
Do I need to have a qualification?
- There’s no need to have a Degree/Profession in Architecture / Built Environment, all you need is plenty of enthusiasm to help make the event a success.
- If you are an Architecture or Built Environment professional, or student, you will also be able to share your expertise with the visitors, meet built environment professionals and supplement your training.
How do I fit in?
- You will help to organise queues, act as extra security for the building, hand out brochures and answer practical questions such as opening times, suggesting other participating buildings close by, and giving more details about the Open House Lagos event in general.
- You will lead or support guided tours, talking about the architecture, function and history of the building. Enough research is required to ensure your tour is informative and you are able to answer questions at a level for the lay-person.
What’s in it for me?
- Volunteering will offer you new experiences and skills, as well as providing a great opportunity to learn more about Architecture and the Built Environment.
As a thank you for volunteering, you will receive the following:
- A complimentary copy of the brochure
- Open House branded t-shirts
- Open House branded hand fans
- Open House branded notebooks
- Travel stipend of N5000 for the two event days
- Open House branded pens
- Open House branded key rings
When is the Event taking place
- Saturday 30th April and Sunday 1st May 2016.
Application Deadline 4pm; 15th April, 2016.