Do you have a business idea that will create jobs and improve lives in your region?
Applications are now been accepted for the 2nd edition of the African Entrepreneurship Award. What does that mean for you?
The African Entrepreneurship Award, powered by BMCE Bank of Africa, offers a mentoring journey for business ideas that can impact and improve lives in Africa. The goal of the African Entrepreneurship Award is to inspire African entrepreneurs – living in Africa and abroad – to develop businesses across the African continent, creating jobs that improve lives.
The Award partners with entrepreneurs, business leaders and leading academics from Africa, Asia, Americas, UK and Europe. These partners are mentors who provide coaching to African entrepreneurs at every step of this journey.
You, the entrepreneur, must meet the following criteria as you submit your business proposal:
- You must be a citizen of an African country
- You must be a minimum of 18 years old as of October 1, 2016
- Your business must be applicable in an African country
- Your business proposal must include a technological component (digital, machinery, computers, ICT, automated processes, field related technologies, etc.)
- Your business must be for profit.
- Your business must be relevant to one of these categories:
- Education – positively impact education in Africa
- Environment – positively impact the environment in Africa
- Uncharted – a high-impact business venturing into unexplored territory or untested markets
- You can submit a proposal as a resident of any country worldwide – keeping in mind that you must be a citizen of an African country
- For example, a resident of the United Arab Emirates with Egyptian citizenship is eligible for this Award
- Your business can operate in any African country even if you are not a citizen of that country
- For example, you can submit a proposal for a different country in Africa than your personal, African citizenship (e.g. a Ghanaian citizen can submit a proposal for a business in Liberia)
- You can submit a proposal for a business already in operation
- Your business can operate across borders in multiple African countries
- Your business should demonstrate the potential to scale beyond one region in Africa to pan-African impact
- You can operate in multiple countries, but you will be asked to designate a primary community in Africa that will benefit or be impacted by your business.
Your business proposals will be reviewed in one of our three categories:
Education, Environment, and Uncharted
It means you could…
The Environment is critical to ensure Africa works together in all sectors to promote innovations that will protect the livelihood of current and future generations. As 11.3 million hectares of land are ravaged every year by poor agricultural systems, over-grazing, and deforestation, we are looking for business ideas that will impact the environment with the potential to scale across Africa.
Uncharted means unexplored, not yet attempted. What is so difficult to do in your community that no one has tried before? Like explorers and inventors throughout history, what will propel Africa into a stronger position in the 21st century? We are looking for business ideas that boldly go where no one has gone before in Africa.
- Benefit from personalized, online mentoring over the next few months by people in your region, across Africa and around the globe
- Learn by reading relevant advice proven to help African entrepreneurs,
- Join a new network that can lead to new customers and investors, and
- Have an opportunity to share in the $1M Award.
How to Apply
Click Here to Apply
Application Deadline: May 6th, 2016.