AFEM is seeking outstanding candidates for 1-year internship positions in global emergency care development. AFEM Interns will receive a small living stipend and be based in Cape Town, South Africa for the 2016-2017 year. Below is more detailed information about the positions. Please read it carefully before applying!
Ready to apply now? Here’s the application:
- to assist with the day-to-day running of the organisation
- to assist with planning and development of annual conferences;
- to develop, manage, and drive AFEM scientific projects throughout Africa;
- to build and maintain relations with sponsors and donors;
- to do research and apply for funding opportunities for AFEM projects;
In addition, successful applicants must be able to contribute to one or more of the following AFEM priority areas:
- Media and Communications: Managing and developing AFEM’s online presence, including the website and all social media; liaising with AFEM representatives to promote the organisation throughout Africa and globally; communicating with new and current AFEM members and creating and disseminating promotional materials.
- Scientific: Developing and coordinating curriculum materials and educational packages; creating and editing scientific documents; and managing and analysing data, particularly for AFEM’s Trauma Data Registry.
- Nursing: Assist with nurse-specific training curricula/courses; develop the agendas and bolster representation of nurses/mid-level providers at conferences; and work on securing funding for nursing-specific research.
- Out of Hospital: Assist with EMS/pre-hospital training curricula/courses; work on securing funding for Out of Hospital-specific research; and generally support the promotion of out of hospital activities w/in AFEM.
- Journal: Act as technical editor for AFEM’s African Journal of Emergency Medicine, responsible for pre and post-production processing of submissions; journal expansion and promotion; working on setting up the podcast and assisting the editor-in-chief as required.
- Executive: Administrative duties such as planning conferences and events; assisting with AFEM finances; creating documents and promotional materials; and communicating with representatives, project managers, and potential AFEM contacts.
- Operational: Furthering of AFEM as an international non-profit from any number of angles: computer/IT/web development and analytics, business/management, or fundraising.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- A strong interest in global emergency care and the development of emergency care systems
- Spoken and written fluency in English
- Good basic computer skills (Office Suite, Google Suite, etc.)
- Excellent communication and organisational skills, and a strong work ethic
- Why you want to work for AFEM for one year;
- Which of AFEM’s priority areas you’re most interested in and how you can best contribute to the growth of the organization;
- Your future professional, personal or academic goals and how you foresee this internship helping you achieve them.
- Anything else you’d like us to know about you in relation to your application.