African Development Bank (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries).
The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Protocol and Liaison Officer – Eastern Africa Regional Resource Centre (EARC)
Position N°: 50071235
- The Eastern Africa Regional Resource Center (EARC) of the African Development Bank (AfDB) has been established to strengthen policy dialogue between the Bank, Governments and other stakeholders and improve performance of the project portfolio and aid coordination with other development partners.
- The Bank invites applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill in the vacant position of Protocol and Liaison Officer. This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya and does not attract international terms and conditions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Regional Director of EARC and the technical oversight of the Bank’s Chief of Protocol, the Protocol & Liaison Officer’s role will be to contribute to the efficient delivery of protocol services of the Bank by:
- Ensuring that the Bank and its staff are accorded at all times their privileges and immunities in the region covered by the EARC; Ensuring prompt issuance of relevant documents for Bank staff (residence permits, franchises, registration of their vehicles, exemption from VAT, etc.) in accordance with the Bank’s policies and guidelines;
- Working closely with Protocol Services at the Bank’s Headquarters to ensure a maintenance of protocol standards of the Bank and its staff;
- Providing general administrative support to the Regional Resource Centre by designing, preparing and following up on various administrative documents, Notes Verbale, various certification documents, attestations, etc.;
- Contributing to the establishment of good working relations between the Bank, its staff and host country authorities.
- Providing assistance in the planning, programming and monitoring of ceremonies and receptions organized by the Bank;
- Ensuring proper communication between staff of the Bank and government officials of the host country;
Other specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Act as liaison between the Bank and staff on the one hand and the host country authorities on the other;
- Prepare Notes Verbale addressed to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the host country relating to the management of privileges and immunities of the Regional Resource Centre (RRC) and the staff assigned to it;
- Coordinate the organization of events and ceremonies organized by the RRC-Nairobi;
- Maintain an up-to-date status of motor vehicle fleet for the RRC and its staff;
- Perform regular inventories of applications for franchises/concessions, residence permits, etc. and inform the Regional Director of the status;
- Ensure flag, emblems and pennants of the Bank are well maintained;
- Produce a monthly activity report on the Protocol Officer’s portfolio;
- Report to the Privileges, immunities and conferences Division (SGPC.12) on all issues pertaining to the implementation of the privileges and immunities provisions of the Host Country Agreement (HCA);
- Prepare, dispatch and follow up on residence permits of the Bank’s staff;
- Prepare, dispatch and follow up on visa and motor vehicle registration applications of the Bank’s staff at the beginning and end of employment term;
- Follow up with the host country’s authorities, procedures for obtaining franchises/concessions on the importation and exportation of personal effects, vehicles and other goods for the use of the RRC and its staff, as well as VAT exemptions;
- Conduct airport arrival and departure formalities for senior staff of the Bank and all other personalities invited by the Regional Office;
- Perform any other tasks as may be assigned.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of a Master’s degree or its university equivalent in Law, International Relations, International Public Law, Political Science, or other related discipline;
- Strong interpersonal skills, a keen sense of initiative, rigorous and methodical approach with attention to detail; Budget and programme management skills desirable;
- An excellent communicator in English. A good working knowledge of French will be an advantage;
- Competence in the use of standard software used in the Bank (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Knowledge of SAP will be an advantage.
- Qualifications, studies and training in diplomacy and protocol practices would be an advantage;
- A minimum of four (4) years of relevant professional experience holding a diplomatic position in government or a similar position in a multilateral organization such as the Bank;
- Experience in protocol practices of Governments, National or Public Administrations, Ministries of Foreign Affairs, Embassies;
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team-oriented, multicultural environment and to function effectively as a member of various groups;
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 14th August, 2016.