World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: National Professional Officer (Administrative and Programme Officer)
Vacancy Notice No: AFRO/16/FT438
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Contract type: Fixed-term Appointment
Organization unit: AF_NGA Nigeria (AF_NGA) /AF_NG2 Administration (AF_NG2)
Objectives of the Programme
The objective of the EPI programme is to support national authorities to provide high quality immunization services that will contribute to (a) the reduction of mortality, morbidity and disability from vaccine preventable diseases through the optimum use of available and new vaccines and (b) the strengthening of national health systems as well as efforts to achieve the Millennium Development Goals.
Description of Duties
Under the overall guidance of the WHO Country Representative and direct supervision of the EPI Team Leader, the incumbent of the position will primarily deal with the following tasks:
- Oversee the WHO EPI Team Leader’s office correspondence information flow – handle and prioritize outgoing and incoming correspondences. Initiate responses when appropriate and ensure requisite and timely follow up on actions and provide regular updates to the WHO EPI Team Leader.
- Provide advice on programme matters, managerial problems encountered in programme execution and administrative support involved in day-to-day running of the EPI office. Research, prioritize, and follow up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the EPI Team Leader, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature. Determines appropriate course of action, referral, or response.
- Render logistic and administrative support for PEI/EPI International missions – All EPI staff members, Government officials, WHO temporary advisors, etc. Develop and update on a regular basis the database for international missions.
- Devise and maintain office systems including electronic documentation of all EPI correspondence.
- Coordinate the activities of EPI Secretaries and a Receptionist.
- Support the documentation of final management actions of the Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Accountability Framework. Prepare feedback to all WHO polio field staff – State Coordinators, Cluster Coordinators, LGA Facilitators and Field Volunteers in the 36 States plus FCT.
- Act as a liaison between the EPI Team Leader and EPI Zonal and State offices as well as Governmental agencies, partners, including the UN, e.t.c. by transmitting directives, instructions and assignments and follow up on the status of assignments to facilitate PEI/EPI programme.
- Support the organization of meetings and prepare, produce and post minutes of meetings and follow-up on actions resulting therefrom.
- Perform any other duty that may reasonably or exceptionally be required/assigned to ensure the smooth operation of EPI Team Leader’s work.
- First University Degree or its equivalent in Public, Business or Secretarial Administration, Economics, Social Sciences.
- Certificate in Management Skills & Leadership Development Course would be an added asset.
Verification of Educational qualifications:
- “In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/.
- Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and these will be reviewed individually”.
- Ability to multi-task and complete assignments with efficiency, adhering to deadlines and emergency/shifting priorities;
- Excellent drafting skills
- Excellent IT Skills – Proficient in the use of the Microsoft Office Suite of products.
- Ability to make decisions without close supervision.
- Ability to act independently and exercise mature judgment;
- Producing results
- Fostering integration and team work
- Communication in a credible and effective way
Other Skills (e.g. IT):
- Computer literate and ability to use relevant software and applications.
- At least 1 year of relevant experience in efficiently and effectively managing the Office of an inter-governmental/ international organization.
- Relevant experience involving the application of administrative and management principles and Practices within the United Nations System.
- WHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance), dependency benefits, pension plan, health insurance scheme, and 30 days annual leave.
- Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration.
Annual Salary: (Net of tax) at single rate
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline 10th August, 2016.